Nightstand delima - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Nightstand delima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #51
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1106 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

In Switzerland, you are required to do two things before you purchase a home. One, purchase a locking gun safe. Two, qualify and purchase a full auto rifle and join their citizen militia.

Laws change, and the Swiss, like the USA are clamping down on gun freedoms, so I do not know if my understanding of their gun laws are current, but I do recognize a good plan when I see one, and the Swiss had a great plan for their national defence.

Full auto rifles in every home, locked securarly away, to protect the family from little courious hands.

To own a gun, any gun, in a home with any child, and have no safe to store that gun in, is foolhardy, irresponsible, short sited, and playing with fire.

Sure your three month old can't shoot a kimber, but you get called to an accident scene where your wife is in a car accident. A neighbor stays with your child on no notice. They bring over their 7 year old to help babysit, unknown to you. You forget all about that hidden gun, or high shelf gun, in your race to be with your wife.

The 7 year old is playing with the baby while the neighbor watches tv and sips your wine. The 7 year old, snooping around, finds the gun, and starts to play with it. Playing with the gun, a game of cops and robbers develops in the 7 year olds mind. Not knowing the consequences, the 7 year old, takes aim at your little baby and takes aim, and shoots and kills your baby.

In one afternoon, you loose your wife, and your child, in separate accidents.

Think of any possible crack in any safety system that could fail, and plan for that.

Before you ever purchase a gun, purchase a quality safe that cannot be defeated.

Can't afford a quality safe, you cannot afford to responsibility own a firearm, period.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #52
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1106 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I am not a gun safe hypocrite. I own 12 safes, ranging from small to large. I have a larger than average gun collection, at my home and at my business.

My three main gun safes, are UL listed safes for jewellers. Rated to withstand attempts to break inside with tools, and fire rated.

Three primary safes, in a locked, alarmed UL monitored gun room, one for long guns, one for handguns and another for ammo. The remaining smaller safes are scattered around my properties so I have constant access to a secure place to lock up my deadly weapons, no matter where I am.

If you cannot make that commitment to a deadly weapon in your life, for goodness sakes, get a stamp collection, or maybe salt and pepper shakers. Anything but guns.

On average, in the USA, one child is accidentally killed every morning, and another child is accidentally killed every evening. That is two children killed everyday, because adults are not responsible with their deadly weapons.

Have a gun? LOCK IT UP !

8555549019_b70e3c2b24_o.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_085153.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_085243.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_085330.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_085414.jpg

forumrunner_20130315_085504.jpg

Last edited by AR10; 03-15-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #53

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

While I agree with AR10 for the most part. I don't think that having a safe precludes owning a gun. Safes are not cheap, nor are guns. My opinion is that if you don't have a safe, but are storing it responsibly (which doesn't necessarily mean in a safe), it is much better than no gun at all. It sounds to me like most people are doing that.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #54
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26 View Post
While I agree with AR10 for the most part. I don't think that having a safe precludes owning a gun. Safes are not cheap, nor are guns. My opinion is that if you don't have a safe, but are storing it responsibly (which doesn't necessarily mean in a safe), it is much better than no gun at all. It sounds to me like most people are doing that.
a safe is the best choice IMO. there are other ways. such as if you can't afford a large safe to store and safeguard all the firearms, then what about a smaller one, and removing part of the firearm to make it inoperable with those parts locked in a safe. removing the bolts, or a firing pin, or some part to disable the firearm to make it inoperable. also storing and locking up all ammo in it's own safe or locking enclosure of some sort.

i have to agree, that if there are children in the home, their safety is priority one, without a doubt.

AR10 brought up some very good points. what if your children are not old enough, or if they are and they fully understand firearms, but what about their friends who might visit? a person has no idea of what level of understanding other children that visit your home might have. any firearm that any child has access to is asking for for a potential and deadly accident to happen, if they are not secured.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #55

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I don't have a safe per-say, but I do have a locking all metal gun cabinet which is being utilized.

I don't think my intentions are being misunderstood, but I'm just after safe storage that can be accessed easily by me and only me over night. At all other times its either on my side or in my safe.

I think at this point we are just discussing all the various options for storage.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #56
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I don't have a safe per-say, but I do have a locking all metal gun cabinet which is being utilized.

I don't think my intentions are being misunderstood, but I'm just after safe storage that can be accessed easily by me and only me over night. At all other times its either on my side or in my safe.

I think at this point we are just discussing all the various options for storage.
nothing wrong with that. there is a big difference in keeping a young child away from the firearms and a determined thief.

i see that with starting this thread that safety seems to be your priority and that's good. that shows taking the proper steps and looking for a good way to store your firearms and keep them safe.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 552 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 173

My opinion i would not have a loaded firearm at arms reach when in bed. When i wake up i hardly know what day it is for a few seconds and i don't think many people are mentally alert. So i would want to have to move to access the firearm to give myself a few seconds to try and access what was going on. People have shot wife's girlfriends and their own children by mistake. PS Obviously it will take a bit longer to access the firearm.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #58

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

nothing wrong with that. there is a big difference in keeping a young child away from the firearms and a determined thief.

i see that with starting this thread that safety seems to be your priority and that's good. that shows taking the proper steps and looking for a good way to store your firearms and keep them safe.
My uncle actually had the guns I inherited from my grandfather for about 6 years.. My pops wouldn't let me have them until I had a way to secure them, not only from thieves but for safety also..

I see those people on TV and it just makes me sick.. I've purchased several guns, pistols and shotguns new and have read the child safety laws as well, I could not imagine the grief of being responsible for the death or injury of ANY child, much less my own.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #59

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

When researching GunVaults, you'll see 'poor battery life' in many of the reviews. I just wanted to add that my experience has been very different. My most frequently used biometric GunVault has been sporting the same pair of batteries for 3 and 1/2 years now, and still going strong. I have one model with the flip up lid which is not spring loaded, and one with the flip down door. It is certainly bulkier, but I recommend the latter, as it can be accessed a little more intuitively and quickly.

Good luck