Nightstand delima - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Nightstand delima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I would not be able to live with myself if my baby girl killed herself because I had to be Mr. Commando.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #42
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

though i don't have children, i have seen what my brother has done and he and i talked quite a bit about this subject when he purchased a pistol for HD usage. we ended up both on the same conclusion that a Bio-Metric safe of some sort was the best solution. safely securing the pistol from prying and curious hands, but still allowing fast access when or if needed.

when the time comes, instructional training and proper gun handling habits should be the next order. teaching children about guns is IMO the best safety procedure you can do when they are old enough to understand the danger of them. my neices are now 12 and 9 and we are showing them the proper handling of firearms. though right now all we are letting them shoot are my 22 pistols and rifles, i do show them the power of the shotguns and the larger caliber pistols so they know how dangerous guns can be if not handled safely.

and irregardless of how young they are, or how a person might think they couldn't operate a handgun or shotgun, please don't fall into this line of thinking. children can be very clever and all it takes is one accident to change your life for the worse, and it could happen in a split second. secure your firearms if you have children in the house. i saw the damage done to a family when an accidental shooting took place. not only was one child dead, it pretty much destroyed the family. the other son ended up years later committing suicide and the parents ended up divorcing. very sad situation.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #43

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Coincidentally I just came across this earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJFQO4DIxw has some good info on things to look for in small gun safes.

Also, I like that FAS1 safe in post #15. Earlier today I was watching this:

skip to about 22:00 where he talks about small bedside safes, although the whole video looks pretty good for information on safes in general.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Last edited by camiller; 03-14-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #44

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Thanks for all the input everyone, like stated earlier, I will NOT be on the news or in court explaining why my child gained access to a firearm.. For the time being my pistol will be in my large closet safe/cabinet locked up at night and the shotgun will be on a wall mounted rack inside the closet out if reach.
Once my tax money comes I'll be researching the suggested bedside safes. Rest easy, no child or adult for that matter will have access to any of my firearms.
I will update, with pics once I get a safe.
Again, thanks everyone

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #45

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone, like stated earlier, I will NOT be on the news or in court explaining why my child gained access to a firearm...
Personally I was thinking more of on the couch or in a chuch -- we just don't want your DAUGHTER determining when you lock that HD pistol up right.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #46

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

Personally I was thinking more of on the couch or in a chuch -- we just don't want your DAUGHTER determining when you lock that HD pistol up right.
No worries, we're taking preventative measures to ensure she has no access at any time.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #47

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Locked door

Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #48

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I've got a small stack-on safe in my closet. The rest of my firearms are locked in a locking rifle case in the basement. I don't have room for a full size safe right now. The ammo is in a different location. When i was four or five i came downstairs with my father's s&w k frame .38 spl and a round asking my mother "how does this work". My father never locked his guns up even after that. ....... just that one story made me want to lock mine up

Last edited by rurak; 03-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #49

Liked 1859 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

I use a gun vault under the seat of my truck. But it is made to be mounted in a home. It has 4 push buttons on the top. The door is spring loaded. That would be my first choice. But there is no way a 2 year old is going to be able to rack the slide on a Kimber.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #50

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I use a gun vault under the seat of my truck. But it is made to be mounted in a home. It has 4 push buttons on the top. The door is spring loaded. That would be my first choice. But there is no way a 2 year old is going to be able to rack the slide on a Kimber.
So you have a two year old? You would actually leave that to chance? My two year old daughter surprises me daily with things I didn't think she could do. While I agree I don't think she can rack the slide I'm not leaving it to chance, EVER.