Nightstand delima - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Nightstand delima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

Here is a pic. It works. If you have kids and want fast access go with a mini vault.

image-163065035.jpg  

Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #32

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
It only takes a second to rack the slide. If it is not secured, don't leave it out with "one in the tube."
Great advice with a 3 year old boy who shoots 22 s with me this is what I do and keep it out of sight...back of nightstand drawer.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #33

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts

My problem with the safe is yea it's secure but once they know what's in it that will make the temptationgreatee granted they will more than likely never get into it that doesn't stop them from trying...I do everything I can and the biggest step for me was not clambering a round and hiding it close by and I never never get in or out with my boy standing there I don't even want him to know it's a drawer

Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #34

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Plinkster
A friend of mine has to small children, so he had the same problem. What he did, because in an emergency you may not have time to unlock a lock box or gun cabnet, so mounted a spare holster above the door frame of his bedroom. He was tall enough to reach it, but the kids were not. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
That's kinda the idea I was going for with having a corner shelf..
Maybe a holster with a thumb break would be a better option though.

Quote:
Starting to think maybe a 6'+ corner shelf may be the ticket.. Out of sight out of mind out of reach.
Quote:
I'm thinking because she is only two that I can store it accessible to me but well out of her reach, this is just over night, I carry all day everyday even at work.
My feeling is as she grows and gets smarter my methods of keeping her from harms reach will change as well.
Quote:
I picked up a wall mount gun rack and a shelf from my parents thrift shop today for free...

Yeah, those're just like actually spending a buck and securing your handgun properly from this point on...
I can read. The answer is clear and here's the most constructive advice "one of those guys" will ever get: do whatever your wife says going forward!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #35

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I dont have any kids of my own yet but I keep my 3 year old nephew some times. So far its just been during the day so I just keep my gun on my hip but I am still tryin to figure out what to do with it if I ever have to keep him overnight. I do have a safe but there is no way I could see good enough to open it at night if the need did arise.

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Old 03-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #36

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I got this one Barska AX11646 Multi-Access Biometric Keypad Safe new on eBay for $165 delivered. It is big enough to easily fit four guns and has biometric and keypad plus a backup key.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Yeah, those're just like actually spending a buck and securing your handgun properly from this point on...
I can read. The answer is clear and here's the most constructive advice "one of those guys" will ever get: do whatever your wife says going forward!
I hate to say it Hocka, but you're coming across douchetastically on this, IMO.

The guy is doing enough FOR NOW; i am sure he well take more steps before the kid is old enough to cause the gun to fire in a couple of years.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #38

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I'm not gonna be doing any quick-draw McGraw action rolling out of bed at 3 in the am. I keep my drawer safe in the drawer. I posted my safe pics a while back and had a couple of well meaning idiots telling me that my brand was wrong, I won't remember the code in the middle of the night, you name it.

Every safe can be broken into. most are meant to deter innocents from playing.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #39

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 57

When my two boys were toddlers, there really were none of the small biometric safes that are available now. Those are a great idea.

But small kids are curious and do not underestimate their climbing and pilfering skills when you are not around. This may not be the case with your daughter today but it will be soon. I am sure that you understand that - hence the post and trying to be pro-active.

I was at work one day in the late '80's (before I was married or had kids) and a married lady co-worker rec'd a call that her two boys (they were home after school alone for a short time each day) had picked the lock on a gun display case of her husband's (not a safe but a glass case that displayed several pistols) and got one of the pistols out to play with. It was loaded and the older boy accidently shot and killed his younger brother. Not saying this case relates to you and your situation with a much younger daughter but it had a profound influence on me, when years later, I found myself married & with two small boys.

My wife grew up in a house with no guns whatsoever and they made her very nervous. That added to the effect of the above on me. My personal method of handling this dilemma was to take absolutly no chances. My pistols were locked away and each (in addition to the locked case) had a master trigger lock on them. Ammunition was stored completely away from the guns. This does nothing for home defense and that part of the equation for me was just shelved for a few years.

Both of my boys are older and have been properly trained and shoot with me regularily. My wife even enjoys shooting with us on occasion - so all of the locking away and no ammo has changed. But that was how I did it when they were toddlers.

My suggestion is to keep the firearm secured in a locked biometric safe that cannot be accessed by anyone but you. If those babies were around for me I would have used one for sure.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 544 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 169

It will have to be locked some way you can't take any chances.