Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Nighthawk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
michigan0626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 763
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Nighthawk

Dillinger- since you are officially the unofficial Nighthawk expert I would like your take on a new 1911. I saw this on the cover of Custom Combat Handguns mag, then here Nighthawk. Could this be your new baby. Also, do you feel that you need a 6" barrel to get the most out of the 10mm cartridge, or is the 5" Delta Elite (cant upset cane by mentioning nighthawk and not colt) adequate enough for self defense and possibly for hunting.

nighthawk-10mm.jpg  
__________________
كافر-INFIDEL

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
michigan0626 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,381
Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Unofficial? He's pretty much official

If you can afford it, you can't go wrong. I have a T3 and it's my favorite of my 1911s. Lots of really great ones out there but, in my opinion, Nighthawk is the best.

__________________
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
michigan0626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 763
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Would you automatically consider this 10mm of a higher quality and more reliable/accurate than the Kimber and Colt 10mm's?(using assumptions and not actual testing)

Or is it apples to oranges? 5" vs 6" longslide. Or should I compare it to Fusion's 6" 10mm with is a fully custom 1911?

__________________
كافر-INFIDEL

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
michigan0626 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Called out again.....I need to go on another boating trip.

Okay, I have no interest, personally, in a 6" that is chambered in 10mm. It's a cartridge that I don't own another weapon for, so I would be adding another special gun/cartridge combination.

Having said that, I have owned three Nighthawks. Of the three, NONE of them have ever experienced a single issue. No FTF. No FTE. No problems in cycling random ammo or range reloads. No problems running my GRP thru Valhalla's indoor combat range. The weapons perform. The weapons are AS ADVERTISED.

Now, before I EVER spent a dollar on a Nighthawk, I met a couple of their gunsmiths and one of their sales reps at SHOT. These guys LOVE the 1911 platform. They LOVE it to the point of wanting to make their pistols the absolute best.

They do the little stuff. They don't charge extra when they take the edges off their carry weapons. Most of their weapons come with custom grip choices AND LPI checkering on the front strap. Those are nice features. All their pistols are made in the USA and their barrels are ALL match grade custom barrels.

The don't use MIM parts. Not that there is anything "wrong" with MIM parts, but c'mon, if you had the choice, do you want MIM, or do you want solid steel??

Of the three that I have, my GRP is my first pistol choice. It's a full frame 5" barrel and that weapon is FAR more accurate than I will ever be with it. That said, I can shoot the eyes out of a hostage target with range ammo all day long. This pistol EXUDES confidence when it's in your hands...

Now, my brother lonyaeger and I both have the T3 carry pistol. This pistol is the best carry pistol, EVER, in my opinion. This thing hits anything you point it at and it runs anything you feed it. Below is a target, at 25 FEET, at an indoor range, controlled climate, with range ammo, that I shot with the T3. I think you will see, the results speak for themselves. 7+1 rounds of .45 ACP in THAT configuration is a dead bad guy all damn day in these parts...

So, would I but a 6" Nighthawk? Are you kidding me? I already have an e-mail off to see if they will chamber it for standard and +P .45 ACP.

Oh, did I mention that ALL Nighthawk pistols are WARRANTED for use with +P ammo. Yeah, they are cool....

So, while I didn't see this coming, I am not surprised. Nighthawk is AS GOOD as advertised.

If you can afford one, they will NEVER let you down. Excellent weapon. Excellent customer service. And the people in the company working on the weapons LOVE the platform.

They don't own Glocks.

They don't own "other" pistols.

They are 1911 MASTERS of their CRAFT who LOVE what they do.

The 11, yes - eleven, founders of NIGHTHAWK have a combined experience of over 100 years of 1911 building!

Now, 11 by 100 isn't that much, right? Except that three smiths have over 20 years and of the 11, some of the folks were business minds that had been shooting 1911 and loved the platform.

As a matter of fact, name a production house in North America and then take a look at the resume's from Nighthawk. Of the Grand 11, you will find the names of:

Kimber
Springfield Armory
Colt

And you will find MULTIPLE names on MULTIPLE resume's.

Yeah. These people worked for the big names and decided to do their own thing. The right way. The way THEY wanted to do it.

So, you want to know if I think they are worth the money brother? I won't by another 1911 made by ANY production warehouse over a Nighthawk.

The one LONE pistol I was looking at is a full custom by another company. And that was a custom 6". Now that Nighthawk is making a 6 inch. Well. Let's just say I like to dance with the one that brought me.

If you are SERIOUS about checking out a Nighthawk for yourself, you need to send an e-mail to my friend.

george@migunslingers.com

George has a direct pipeline to Nighthawk. He can get what you want, faster and cheaper than anyone else. I have bought 2 pistols from him and have an e-mail into him now about the 6".

Do yourself a favor and hit him up. He is a GREAT guy....

JD

first-day-testing.jpg  
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:32 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jusselin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Dillinger- since you are officially the unofficial Nighthawk expert I would like your take on a new 1911. I saw this on the cover of Custom Combat Handguns mag, then here Nighthawk. Could this be your new baby. Also, do you feel that you need a 6" barrel to get the most out of the 10mm cartridge, or is the 5" Delta Elite (cant upset cane by mentioning nighthawk and not colt) adequate enough for self defense and possibly for hunting.
i am really turned on by those nighthawks, is that wrong?
__________________
Jusselin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
michigan0626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 763
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Called out again.....I need to go on another boating trip.

Okay, I have no interest, personally, in a 6" that is chambered in 10mm. It's a cartridge that I don't own another weapon for, so I would be adding another special gun/cartridge combination.

Having said that, I have owned three Nighthawks. Of the three, NONE of them have ever experienced a single issue. No FTF. No FTE. No problems in cycling random ammo or range reloads. No problems running my GRP thru Valhalla's indoor combat range. The weapons perform. The weapons are AS ADVERTISED.

Now, before I EVER spent a dollar on a Nighthawk, I met a couple of their gunsmiths and one of their sales reps at SHOT. These guys LOVE the 1911 platform. They LOVE it to the point of wanting to make their pistols the absolute best.

They do the little stuff. They don't charge extra when they take the edges off their carry weapons. Most of their weapons come with custom grip choices AND LPI checkering on the front strap. Those are nice features. All their pistols are made in the USA and their barrels are ALL match grade custom barrels.

The don't use MIM parts. Not that there is anything "wrong" with MIM parts, but c'mon, if you had the choice, do you want MIM, or do you want solid steel??

Of the three that I have, my GRP is my first pistol choice. It's a full frame 5" barrel and that weapon is FAR more accurate than I will ever be with it. That said, I can shoot the eyes out of a hostage target with range ammo all day long. This pistol EXUDES confidence when it's in your hands...

Now, my brother lonyaeger and I both have the T3 carry pistol. This pistol is the best carry pistol, EVER, in my opinion. This thing hits anything you point it at and it runs anything you feed it. Below is a target, at 25 FEET, at an indoor range, controlled climate, with range ammo, that I shot with the T3. I think you will see, the results speak for themselves. 7+1 rounds of .45 ACP in THAT configuration is a dead bad guy all damn day in these parts...

So, would I but a 6" Nighthawk? Are you kidding me? I already have an e-mail off to see if they will chamber it for standard and +P .45 ACP.

Oh, did I mention that ALL Nighthawk pistols are WARRANTED for use with +P ammo. Yeah, they are cool....

So, while I didn't see this coming, I am not surprised. Nighthawk is AS GOOD as advertised.

If you can afford one, they will NEVER let you down. Excellent weapon. Excellent customer service. And the people in the company working on the weapons LOVE the platform.

They don't own Glocks.

They don't own "other" pistols.

They are 1911 MASTERS of their CRAFT who LOVE what they do.

The 11, yes - eleven, founders of NIGHTHAWK have a combined experience of over 100 years of 1911 building!

Now, 11 by 100 isn't that much, right? Except that three smiths have over 20 years and of the 11, some of the folks were business minds that had been shooting 1911 and loved the platform.

As a matter of fact, name a production house in North America and then take a look at the resume's from Nighthawk. Of the Grand 11, you will find the names of:

Kimber
Springfield Armory
Colt

And you will find MULTIPLE names on MULTIPLE resume's.

Yeah. These people worked for the big names and decided to do their own thing. The right way. The way THEY wanted to do it.

So, you want to know if I think they are worth the money brother? I won't by another 1911 made by ANY production warehouse over a Nighthawk.

The one LONE pistol I was looking at is a full custom by another company. And that was a custom 6". Now that Nighthawk is making a 6 inch. Well. Let's just say I like to dance with the one that brought me.

If you are SERIOUS about checking out a Nighthawk for yourself, you need to send an e-mail to my friend.

george@migunslingers.com

George has a direct pipeline to Nighthawk. He can get what you want, faster and cheaper than anyone else. I have bought 2 pistols from him and have an e-mail into him now about the 6".

Do yourself a favor and hit him up. He is a GREAT guy....

JD

Are you saying you dont think a 1911 in 10mm is a good idea, or just dont personally want the cartridge?

Will it fire +p+, or +p++, or C+++ (too many letters and plus signs)

So, does this put DLSPORTS.COM on the back burner for awhile?

By the sound of this review, is seems like you should be a paid endorser, just like Cane should be on Colt's payrole.
__________________
كافر-INFIDEL

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
michigan0626 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Are you saying you dont think a 1911 in 10mm is a good idea, or just dont personally want the cartridge?

Will it fire +p+, or +p++, or C+++ (too many letters and plus signs)

So, does this put DLSPORTS.COM on the back burner for awhile?

By the sound of this review, is seems like you should be a paid endorser, just like Cane should be on Colt's payrole.
I have no personal use for the 10mm cartridge. The .45ACP in +P does what I believe it was designed to do, for me personally.

I don't need another cartridge to worry about getting and stocking ammo in the safe for. Robocop10mm on the other hand, well,....

If you change the recoil spring, Nighthawk will warranty the weapon to fire +P+. I have never asked for higher rated pressures, but you can call them. Everyone there speaks fluent 1911.

As for the 6" buy - any of them is on the "back burner" as I have Christmas, with 7 neices and nephews, to worry about, not to mention harmony under my own roof come the Yuletide.

Income tax time might lead to a new purchase. Perhaps something in .45ACP. Perhaps a Kriss Super V. Perhaps a new 1911.

And there is SHOT in Jan, where all the new toys will be out and available to touch and play with...

Decisions, Decisions...

JD
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jusselin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Unofficial? He's pretty much official

If you can afford it, you can't go wrong. I have a T3 and it's my favorite of my 1911s. Lots of really great ones out there but, in my opinion, Nighthawk is the best.
in my opinion (biased opinion) colt is the best, i have shot a few and i absoluetly love that colt....how ever, i would love to shoot a nighthawk to find out i am wrong about the colt they look like excellent guns
__________________
Jusselin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Dillinger- since you are officially the unofficial Nighthawk expert I would like your take on a new 1911. I saw this on the cover of Custom Combat Handguns mag, then here Nighthawk. Could this be your new baby. Also, do you feel that you need a 6" barrel to get the most out of the 10mm cartridge, or is the 5" Delta Elite (cant upset cane by mentioning nighthawk and not colt) adequate enough for self defense and possibly for hunting.
No offense taken! If I could afford it, I would go with the Nighthawk every time!

Why 10 mm? Damn fine cartridge but expensive and sometimes hard to find.

The additional 1 inch barrel length will get you less than a 100/fps gain.

This is a canebrake estimate for going from a 5 inch to a 6 inch long slide.

For a Hornady 200 grain JHP/XTP:

Velocity from 1050/fps to ~1130/fps
Energy from 490/#ft to ~567/#ft



** Just for S&G I looked up a Hornady 45 ACP 200 grain JHP/XTP +P:

Velocity 1055/fps
Energy 494/#ft
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 11-24-2009 at 04:38 PM.
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,381
Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusselin View Post
in my opinion (biased opinion) colt is the best, i have shot a few and i absoluetly love that colt....how ever, i would love to shoot a nighthawk to find out i am wrong about the colt they look like excellent guns
Carrying the T3 a lot recently with a Galco jak-slide IWB. Just an untucked long-sleeve shirt covering it. Virtually undetectable.
__________________
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ivory grips for Nighthawk T3 lonyaeger 1911 Forum 26 01-14-2014 03:25 AM
9mm Nighthawk Dominator Flint Rock 1911 Forum 8 11-04-2009 01:26 PM
Wilson Tactical Elite and Nighthawk T3 lonyaeger Range Report 13 10-26-2009 12:05 AM
Range Report: Nighthawk Custom Talon II Slawth 1911 Forum 20 08-24-2009 10:50 PM



Newest Threads