Night sights or Tac light??? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Night sights or Tac light???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default Night sights or Tac light???

Night sights first. You can work with flashlight or ambient light if you can see your sights.

Somebody always makes a dumb comment about the BG seeing your light. If you walk into an area where you need a light, the bad guy can usually see you with or without the light. The light just let's you see him.

Tac lights should only be deployed when moving from an area of light to an area of dark, or examining a threat area that cannot be illuminated without them. Once the entry is made or the threat area is cleared they should be turned back off.

They should also be no brighter than 80 lumens or they will burn up too much rhodopsin when deployed and leave you night blind when switched back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 02-09-2014 at 10:47 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7110 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 14381

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Somebody always makes a dumb comment about the BG seeing your light. If you walk into an area where you need a light...
The bad guy will also see your night sights glowing.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Somebody always makes a dumb comment about the BG seeing your light. If you walk into an area where you need a light, the bad guy can usually see you with or without the light. The light just let's you see him.
That would be me. I believe I was the first one to point that out in this thread. While I usually respect your opinion, if you are talking about a weapon mounted light I just can't go along with you on this one.

Let me quote his first post and highlight the part where night sights or a flashlight may be necessary.

Quote:
Struggling to make the decision between upgrading my stock glock polymer sights or adding a TLR-4 Tac light. This is my primary handgun for both nightstand use and range. It may possibly be used for winter carry in the future thanks.
This is telling me that the house is going to be dark throughout. If not completely dark there would be nightlights. It's his house. He controls the placement of lighting. He should be able to illuminate the approaches to his room, and any other room he needs to be concerned about with nightlights.

In addition to the above, he also has knowledge of where the furniture is and where his loved ones should be. These are advantages he has over an intruder. Providing a beacon to his location does not make sense.

It's my belief that you are looking at this from an on duty officer's point of view. You, and probably a few of your buddies, are there to make entry as quickly as possible with an overwhelming show of force. He's alone. You are probably wearing body armor. At best he's in his PJs. When you and your coworkers enter a room you present multiple moving targets doing everything you can to confuse the intruder. He presents one target. You are going into unfamiliar surroundings. He knows the area like the back of his hand. You have not been given the opportunity to allow your pupils to fully dilate. He has been asleep in the dark. His night vision will never be better. You need the advantage of light. Initially at least, he doesn't.

A light may be totally unnecessary to him, but if he stays in his darkened bedroom night sights are a must. They help him to aim, and they help him to locate his firearm in the first place. If he does need to use a light it's use must be flexible. He needs to be able to hold it away from his body, or even set it on the floor to illuminate anyone approaching his safe haven, and this will be determined by his prior placement of nightlights..

Above all he needs the element of surprise. He's all alone in defending his home and loved ones. If he's smart he and his family will devise a plan to deal with an intrusion and they will practice it regularly. It will strengthen his ability to defend them if he knows where everybody should be and what they should be doing.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #34

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

@ McCool. Check into the TruGlo TFO's they are shrouded from the front and sides so the only person that can see the glow is the shooter. I think most tritium sites aren't visible from the muzzle end of the weapon.

@ Delta. If moving from, or staying in a place of darkness with the intruder moving through a portion of the house that remains lit at night, does a person still need a weapon mounted light? I do control the lighting in my home and I have to admit, I had not considered an intruder cutting power before entry until this discussion. I do keep a tactical flashlight next to my nightstand safe.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #35
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7110 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 14381

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
@ McCool. Check into the TruGlo TFO's they are shrouded from the front and sides so the only person that can see the glow is the shooter. I think most tritium sites aren't visible from the muzzle end of the weapon.
I was just piggybacking on Delta's joke. I can't change font color to green with the app.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #36

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I can't change the font color either or I wouldn't have caught flack for saying I'll just shoot at the bad guys flashlight after he cuts my power and phone. 🙈

Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 230 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
If you have to arm yourself to raid the fridge, it sounds to me like you need to toss some of those leftovers. Forget Zombies. We might be looking at Attack of the Mutant Turkey.
It has been awhile back since Thanksgiving.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

There's some confusion here.

Basics: if you are in an area of light and you moving into an area that is dark, you are a silhouette. It doesn't matter who pays the light bill there.

Basics: If you can't see what your shooting at, you shouldn't be shooting. If you can't see where you are aiming your gun, you shouldn't be shooting.

Anybody who thinks they are gonna hold a flashlight by their neck and illuminate their sights and target in the pitch black is dreaming. I've had to try that before. It flat out didn't work,

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 02-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #39

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 49 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I lived in Alaska I had night sights on all of my handguns. Also on my AR and hunting rifles. A night sight bead on my 12Ga. pump.
Only because of the low light outside all winter. Most of my hunting was during the winter months in very low light conditions. They tend to frown on the use of flashlights when hunting.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #40

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Me and the Mrs have lasers on our handguns tac light is hand held... tax light is quickly to identify bg.... laser is quick easy targeting... just my 2¢

More people armed, less crime...
Less people armed, more crime...
you can't have both!! ( Ted Nugent)