Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Night sights or Tac light??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/night-sights-tac-light-103710/)

sleeper 02-06-2014 12:31 PM

Night sights or Tac light???

Struggling to make the decision between upgrading my stock glock polymer sights or adding a TLR-4 Tac light. This is my primary handgun for both nightstand use and range. It may possibly be used for winter carry in the future thanks.

Doc3402 02-06-2014 02:01 PM

Tactical lights illuminate at both ends. Do you really want to give away your position?

danf_fl 02-06-2014 02:25 PM

But Tac lites help to ID who you are aimed at in dark places.

And I would hate to see the sights good, and not see my wife who is getting a drink of water.

Doc3402 02-06-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1499877)
But Tac lites help to ID who you are aimed at in dark places.

And I would hate to see the sights good, and not see my wife who is getting a drink of water.

Understood, but if it's your house, you control the lighting. There is no reason you can't illuminate the path to your bedroom with night lights without giving away your position within the bedroom.

If you are waking out of a dead sleep, you probably don't want the light anyway. Your pupils are as wide open as they will ever get outside an optometrists office. Your target ID skills in low light should be fine, but if you have any question go ahead and try it with a dry run. Just make sure you give it enough time for your pupils to dilate.

KG7IL 02-06-2014 04:43 PM

This is a America. The land where you can have tritium night sights, 200+ Lumens and a Laser.

I like the tritium. What's not to like about something that glows in the dark. Just keep the barrel towards the target and the glow isn't visible down range.

I like having 200+ Lumens available, coyotes, raccoons and other varmints must be identified.

I like the laser. Sometimes you need to point and shoot. (great for racoons hiding under a log)

danf_fl 02-06-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc3402 (Post 1499888)
Understood, but if it's your house, you control the lighting. There is no reason you can't illuminate the path to your bedroom with night lights without giving away your position within the bedroom.

If you are waking out of a dead sleep, you probably don't want the light anyway. Your pupils are as wide open as they will ever get outside an optometrists office. Your target ID skills in low light should be fine, but if you have any question go ahead and try it with a dry run. Just make sure you give it enough time for your pupils to dilate.

One of the first rules before going in is to kill all power and phone.
And a hall night light is useless without power of some kind.

sleeper 02-06-2014 09:09 PM

Dan-fl, I doubt anyone is gonna go through all the trouble to cut the power and phone to break into my occupied house in the middle of the night....however if they do they will be tripping over so many toys and baby gates I'll know exactly where they are, or I'll just shoot at their flashlight.

sleeper 02-06-2014 09:21 PM

P.S. Decided on a set of truglo TFO's the look great so far and hopefully will be the best of both worlds as they are advertised to be.

Doc3402 02-06-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1499961)
One of the first rules before going in is to kill all power and phone.
And a hall night light is useless without power of some kind.

I didn't say don't have a flashlight handy. My problem is with a weapon mounted tactical light. You can hold a flashlight off to the side, you can roll it across the floor, or you can even leave it on the nightstand to illuminate things. With a laser or tactical light on the weapon all you are doing is telling them where to shoot.

robocop10mm 02-06-2014 10:45 PM

BOTH! They serve different purposes. One allows you to aim the gun, the other allows you to ID the potential target