Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Night Sights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Saying that there is no need for night sights is just ignorant. Just because some of you have no need for them doesn't mean that no one else doesn't. As a Border Patrol Agent working a midnight shift in the bottom of a canyon working dope, I guarantee you that you will need night sights and be happy you have them. As far as all those dash cam videos, most cops have not trained with point shooting because some departments think it is useless. I don't. Also, it is something totally different trying to shoot at someone when they are shooting back, especially when they were not trained correctly. There are some departments that do a lot of point shoot training because they have realized that most shootings happen within 10 yards; however, most of our shooting are beyond 30 yards.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #22

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Well since I'm not a Border Patrol agent working midnight shift in a canyon full of dope dealers - I'd say it's a safe bet that our needs are probably different. It's nice to know that everyone that doesn't agree with you is ignorant, I'll keep that in mind.

Next, t'was I an LEO and thought learning point shooting (to save MY butt) was a good thing - I'd train on my own time whether or not my department wanted me to or not. Last time I checked, LEOs are welcome at my local range to practice on their own time with their own ammo - as I do...

Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #23

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Where did you get your Night sights?? K-Mart brush on paint??JD
All right smarty pants. Where should I have got the glow in the dark paint from except K-Mart

Last edited by NitroxAZ; 09-22-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 104

NGIB, I wasn't saying that everyone who doesn't agree with me is ignorant what I was saying is that someone made a comment that night sights are worthless and just because they didn't have a need for something doesn't make it worthless. So that single thought was the problem, not the person. I apologize if it sounded like I was trying to offend since I wasn't.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #25

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

GonzoLonzo posted:

Quote:
Saying that there is no need for night sights is just ignorant.
There is no need for night sights. They are a "nice to have" item. You can engage targets at night just fine without them. For the average joe that is just looking to protect his home and family, there is no need for them.

Need is a word thrown around too easily these days. You don't "need" much at all to effectively fire a pistol at a target, regardless of illumination.

I guess I'm ignorant, huh..............

Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #26

Liked 1033 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
GonzoLonzo posted:

There is no need for night sights. They are a "nice to have" item. You can engage targets at night just fine without them. For the average joe that is just looking to protect his home and family, there is no need for them.

Need is a word thrown around too easily these days. You don't "need" much at all to effectively fire a pistol at a target, regardless of illumination.

I guess I'm ignorant, huh..............
You qualified the statement "there is no need for them" with "For the average joe that is just looking to protect his home and family". That suggests that for the "not so average joe that is looking to do more than protect his home and family" there is a need.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I feel the need, I FEEL the need I tell ya!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you're a mall ninja, then yes....you do need the night sights.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I can tell you this, I don't NEED to listen to a bunch of you bitch about something that is someone's right to spend their money on, from a standpoint of "I know more than you"...

This whole thread is one bigot's opinion against another....

Since when were any of you qualified to tell someone how to spend their own money??

You don't like Night Sights - Great. Don't effing buy them. You want to save money? Great. Save it on night sights. Don't you dare buy a pistol with night sights pre-installed though, because now that's not your right to spend you money how you might want.

However, don't sit there and tell people they serve no purpose, because none of you have been everywhere and none of you have done everything.

Larry Vickers - 'Memba Him Cane/NGIB?? He commissioned a series of 1911's to be produced exclusively by Nighthawk. The pistols came with three options for sights, two of which were, uh-oh, night sights.

Eric Lee Haney - Delta Member. Sierra One - First sniper of Delta. Best Selling Author. His hand designed, twin 1911 handguns BOTH had night sights. By his own hand. By his own request.

Dave Lauck - Anyone heard of him?? His pistols all come with "Premium grade night sight inserts"

Here's a little question. If the night sights are so worthless, why didn't they go the way of the .45 GAP? Or the AMT Automag? The L.A.R. Grizzly? The Widley Magnums? Or the .41 Magnum?

Or any of the THOUSANDS of other products that are introduced each year to separate gun owners from their money?

Why?

Because somebody, somewhere found them valuable.

Now, some of you represent the very finest this site has to offer in the terms of knowledge. You opinion is taken as fact by a lot of people. People listen to what you have to say.

Perhaps you might want to consider that before your next "Submit Reply"

JD

Old 09-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #30

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Glad you said that JD it was what I was thinking just not as eloquent as I would have typed it out.