Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Night Sights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I like night sites on pistols. I think they have very real value when you might need them.

I have shot some with the night sites, much easier to get on target when it gets dim out.

Night sites is one of the features I would like on my first 1911.

Last edited by Gojubrian; 09-20-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #12

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
At the shooting schools I've been to, we practiced moving as fast as we could, at an angle to the target, shooting it down, usually with one hand. Aiming with the sights was generally not possible. If you watch dash cam footage of officer involved shootings, that's a common scene. Sure there are times for careful aiming, but short range defensive shooting generally isn't one of those times.
I am NOT contributing to the continuation of the night sight argument. I have stated my opinion.

I will however, re-emphasize my emphasis on your need to spend a portion of your training on point shooting.

Please re-read Flint Rock's section above. Let it sink in. I think it could save your life some day.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I grow tired of this discussion.

Has anyone actually LOOKED at the results from all those dash cam footage vids??

Take a look at the Kehoe brothers' shootout, everyone has seen the video. The cops pull this brown surburban over, they pull the driver out, bring him back to the cop car, then he gets all uppity and makes a run for the driver's side. His brother gets out and he and the lead cop get into a point blank shootout. The cop emptied his automatic and hit that kid ONE TIME.

News flash: Not all Cops are good shots!!

Point shooting, night sights, lasers, hell, a howizter isn't going to change that fact.

Comparing the usage of night sights to dash board camera footage of police officers NOT hitting their targets isn't even relevant to this discussion.

Train with the pistol that you have. If you like the night sights, get the night sights.

What some people in this thread seem to have forgotten is that it's YOUR decision on what kind of pistol you want. Once you make that decision, you need to TRAIN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE to take care of you and yours...

Period.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
If there is no light, and if you are aiming using the sights (as opposed to instinctive aiming), then nights sights should have an edge. Short range, high speed, defensive shooting, lessens the need for sights in general. Some models of handguns don't even really have sights, more like a channel down the top of the barrel.
At the shooting schools I've been to, we practiced moving as fast as we could, at an angle to the target, shooting it down, usually with one hand. Aiming with the sights was generally not possible. If you watch dash cam footage of officer involved shootings, that's a common scene. Sure there are times for careful aiming, but short range defensive shooting generally isn't one of those times. As the range opens up, sights are more important, but you still need to see the target, and night sights don't light up the target.
I think that the night sights are an over rated profit builder for the sight maker. Practice with what you have and don't worry about the sights. Invest in quality training.
I concur with everything that has been stated above, MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I am NOT contributing to the continuation of the night sight argument. I have stated my opinion.

I will however, re-emphasize my emphasis on your need to spend a portion of your training on point shooting.

Please re-read Flint Rock's section above. Let it sink in. I think it could save your life some day.
I concur with everything sated above, MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Train with the pistol that you have. If you like the night sights, get the night sights.

What some people in this thread seem to have forgotten is that it's YOUR decision on what kind of pistol you want. Once you make that decision, you need to TRAIN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE to take care of you and yours....
Period.
And I concur with everything stated above too, MO. In other words, train with what you have and what you use as a carry gun and train, practice, train. If that handgun has night sights, added bonus, that should not change the way you train, shoot, point on target or move, in a short or close range draw to target strike, MO and my own shooting experience. Everybody was right, and no one was wrong, again just MO.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I concur with Jack and the three statements Jack concurred with.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #16

I personally like night sights, however I have yet to find one that stays illuminated long enough to be of any practical use. I just got sick of holding a flashlight against the sights to make them work. So i just don't use them.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
I personally like night sights, however I have yet to find one that stays illuminated long enough to be of any practical use. I just got sick of holding a flashlight against the sights to make them work. So i just don't use them.

What?!

Where did you get your Night sights?? K-Mart brush on paint??

The whole reason for Night Sights is that they are a vial of luminescent liquid that is set into the sight body so that it is ALWAYS bright.

After 10 years, my first pair of night sights will still glow when it's dark.

JD

Old 09-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #18

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
What?!

Where did you get your Night sights?? K-Mart brush on paint??

The whole reason for Night Sights is that they are a vial of luminescent liquid that is set into the sight body so that it is ALWAYS bright.

After 10 years, my first pair of night sights will still glow when it's dark.

JD
Yea, that liquid is tritium and JD makes all the kids sick that he scares by pointing his NHs at them!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Yea, that liquid is tritium and JD makes all the kids sick that he scares by pointing his NHs at them!!
Well. It's still a Nighthawk.

JD

Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #20

mine does too for about an hour or two, but if I have to pull my gun out at 3Am in the morning the illumination is already gone. And I do have tritium night sights on my Beretta and Kimber. I would be interested how long the rest of the forums stay illuminated.