Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Next pistol to purchase?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Next pistol to purchase?

Hello all. I am sure this question pops up quite frequently but I feel it's always best to "ask the experts".

I recently purchased a Hi-Point 9mm and have had the WORST luck with it....see my rant and full story in "Info for cheap pistols to purchase" thread found here. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7169&page=5

I also bought a Ruger MKIII 22/45 .22lr and absolutely LOVE it! I did have some issues figuring out how to disassemble/reassemble it and I ended up scratching up the rear top of the pistol (right behind the rear sight, where the pin is that you have to remove) and breaking the rear sight the first day I had it. I am severely frustrated with myself because after 3 days of messing with it I finally figured it out and could have saved myself lots of frustration and damage to my pistol. Thankfully, I am pretty sure I can just replace the rear sight and the rest of the damage will just be merely cosmetic. It still sucks though.......essentially ruining my first nice pistol just because I am not very mechanically inclined and have a fascination with how firearms work.

Anyway...now to my question. I am looking at possibly making another pistol purchase in the near future. I am considering possibly a nice 9mm. You know, one that will actually shoot when I pull the trigger...or maybe getting yet another caliber altogether.

I am thinking if I go with another caliber I would like something that would be reasonably cheap to shoot. I shot .22lr all summer long and now it seems like it's almost killing me to pay 25 cents a round for 9mm. I am too poor....lol!!! Also in selecting another caliber I want to get something that will be practical to own. What I mean is a caliber that is very common and a pistol that is easy to find accessories, high capacity mags, and parts for. Of course, cost of ammo and pistol are a big factor for me.

One idea was of course to take the plunge and get a 1911. My local guy has a new one for $425.00. It's a cheaper, no frills model but it's a 1911 none the less. I believe its a Century arms...don't quote me on that....my only hesitations would be recoil (how bad is it for a 1911?) The cartridges (.45 acp) are HUGE and I expect quite a kick from it.....and the cost per shot......45 acp ammo isn't very economical.

I am NOT stuck on any certain caliber, or even on the idea of getting something other than a nice 9mm.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

.45 ACP recoil really isn't that bad. The lovely Mrs. Freefall (5'6" 130 lb) loves it in her Officers ACP. My daughter shot my 1911 A1 well when she was 12. I suppose it's a bit stiffer than a 9, but not enough to whine about. 9mm ammo is cheaper, and high-cap 9s are certainly thicker on the ground than high-cap .45s. If high-cap is a big issue to you, go for the 9 by all means. I myself would probably buy that .45 for $400 or whatever. Trade him that hi-point pos.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

45 ACP is mild-mannered shooting. But my question is, why go with another autoloader? You said you were mechanically inept, so with that being said you should look at getting a good revolver. They are much simpler to take care of and they conserve ammo by comparison.

It's just a suggestion...

Old 12-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

I would suggest the Springfield Armory XD 40.

The ability to take it down to field strip does not need a person that is Mechanically inclined.

Easy, first make sure it is unloaded, rotate the lever, slide the slide forward and off. Very easy....

Last edited by Kevin Harvey; 12-19-2008 at 03:47 AM. Reason: had to fix an abbreviation

Old 12-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sounds like you've learned of the Hi Point's limitations and you've learned some of your limitations. That will make you a better firearms owner.

The .45ACP is fine to shoot, don't sweat the recoil. It's really just kind of a strong push and no big deal.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #6

A 1911 would be a great choice. If your looking for a cheap but good one check out Taurus. They make a nice 1911 for a real good price. I sell the bare bones ones for $530.00. They also have a $75.00 rebate through December.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I will throw in my opinion of looking at the Rock Island Armory or Springfield Armory 1911 pistols before going with Taurus. Cheaper and you'll get a better quality deal.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I suppose there is a way to measure recoil other than by shooting a gun and renendering an opinion, but I don't know how it is done. To me at least a 40 S&W has more recoil than a 45 ACP, but like I said, that's just me. Down at the local Wally World ammo for 40 and 45 is within a few cents of each other per box. So all that said, I chose a 45, a 1911 at that. I have a Wilson Combat 22 conversion that spends a good bit of time installed on my gun. The 22 is cheap to shoot and builds muscle memory for me (of course you can get 22 conversions for other guns,,,,,,,,, Glocks also.)

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I will throw in my opinion of looking at the Rock Island Armory or Springfield Armory 1911 pistols before going with Taurus. Cheaper and you'll get a better quality deal.
If you can find a Springfield Armory 1911 for less than a Taurus than buy it. Springfield makes a very nice 1911 but they are not cheap, on par with Kimber. You can probably find a mil spec Springfield for under $700.00. Thats "Mil Spec",...The base model.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 AM   #10

Thanks for the input everybody.

I am going to look around for a bit and see what all I can find in regards to getting a deal on something.

I will keep you all posted as to what I finally decide on.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.