Next gun, soon as I turn. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Next gun, soon as I turn.

View Poll Results: Which should Mr. Bluesky get first?
Ruger GP100 15 44.12%
Ruger Blackhawk 4 11.76%
Kimber Target II 8 23.53%
Other 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I live right by your campus, in Mason. You can carry on campus in your vehicle and you can leave your weapon secured in a vehicle...more tomorrow when i'm awake...

Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Well, the GP100, IMHO should be all you will need at this point for versatility, practicality and longevity.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #13

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I'll be different, if you get a 1911 early on you'll save lots of money in the long run. Many of us bought and sold lots of guns before we found out just how sweet a good 1911 is. The Kimber you list is a fine gun but there are others just as good and some are cheaper...

Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You speak as though you are allowed only one gun... When I turned 18 (a very long time ago) I bought a Ruger 22, a Colt .357 Trooper, and a Smith & Wesson 686 44 Magnum before I turned 19. By 21, I had a good collection of pistols & rifles. A half-century later... I still have most of them!

Just look for those extremely good deals and jump on them, regardless of caliber.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I live right by your campus, in Mason. You can carry on campus in your vehicle and you can leave your weapon secured in a vehicle...more tomorrow when i'm awake...
No vehicle, and I'm living in the dorms at least for this semester and next, which are a strictly gun-free zone. There's a bill in the state legislature right now that would allow CCW on college campuses, but I don't see myself having any reason to carry on campus UNLESS the bill passes and all the whackos start carrying.

Now, if I were going into downtown Lansing, I'd definitely want something on me. =P

Jpyle, I looked at the 92 Inox. My only thought was that if I were going to go for a 9mm-ish bullet, I'd get the GP100 and shoot .38. I do plan on getting one eventually, though.

Mark, I wish I could afford more than one, and I'll probably have everything on this list and more eventually, but as a starving college student, I can only get one gun this year, most likely.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #16

ugh the dorms, you're a brave man LOL I could never live that close to anyone. When my dad went to MSU forever ago they had somewhere on campus you could lock up and store your guns. Pretty sure the liberals screwed that up. There are some good places to go shoot around here (we shoot in the backyard mostly).

Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

How about all of the above. Just prioritize the list and get what you want first.

I have a 4” stainless GP-100. Great gun. I also got a 7 ½” stainless NMBH. I sent it back to Ruger and had the barrel changed out to 5 ½” and a .45 ACP cylinder added. Now that is a combination! I also have a nice 1911. Everyone needs a nice 1911. Just prioritize and go for it.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
How about all of the above. Just prioritize the list and get what you want first.

I have a 4” stainless GP-100. Great gun. I also got a 7 ½” stainless NMBH. I sent it back to Ruger and had the barrel changed out to 5 ½” and a .45 ACP cylinder added. Now that is a combination! I also have a nice 1911. Everyone needs a nice 1911. Just prioritize and go for it.
Aye, note that the topic of the poll is "Which gun should I get first?" Any opinion?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

As I listed them: GP-100, Ruger .45 NMBH then the 1911.

The GP-100 first due to the simplicity of the double action revolver and relative ease in getting .38 and .357 ammo and cost of feeding it. .45 Colt is a little more scarce and certainly more expensive. .45 ACP is typically more expensive, don't know about general availability.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #20

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

That's cool. Saw your comments on the Kimber stainless in 9mm and threw out a lower cost alternative.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington