Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Next gun, soon as I turn. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/next-gun-soon-i-turn-20840/)

Mr. Bluesky 12-07-2009 10:19 PM

Next gun, soon as I turn.

I've got a 21st coming up this year, and I plan on doing two things with it. First, get utterly, legally smashed. Second, sober up and buy a new gun. Only question is, what should I buy?

As for what I'm looking for, this is going to be a strictly range gun. I'm going to be in school for a while, undergrad and (hopefully) grad, so I won't have the need or the ability to carry for a while. Quality and durability are very important. I want a gun I'm going to be able to shoot for the rest of my life, if possible. However, I can't see myself being able to spend much more than $1000, so keep "other" suggestions reasonable. I'm leaning towards stainless, as I'm told it's more durable and easier to clean than most blued finishes.

I currently own a Ruger Mark III (.22 LR, 7 inch bull barrel, stainless), and I love it. I generally shoot Federal Spitfire 31-gr JHP, because it's readily available and shoots as well as CCI for me, at under half the price.

A list of guns I'm currently looking at:

Ruger GP100 - DA Revolver, .357 Magnum, 6 inch barrel, stainless, $680
Ruger GP100 Double-Action Revolver Model 1707
I like the idea of being able to shoot both 38 special and .375 magnum, kinda like getting two guns in one.

Ruger Blackhawk - SA Revolver, .45 Colt, 7.5 inch barrel, stainless, $661
Ruger New Model Blackhawk Stainless Single-Action Revolver Model 0460
The family friend who introduced me to shooting says he really likes the .45 Colt as a round. Plus, he's got the equipment to reload, so I can get ammo relatively cheaply. SA should be fine for a range gun.

Kimber Stainless Target II - 1911, .45 ACP, 5 inch barrel, stainless, $1068
Kimber > 1911 Pistols > Custom II > Stainless Target II™
Pretty much the most expensive I can go. I'm going to get a 1911 at some point, and this one comes very highly recommended. Is it worth getting a 1911 in 9mm?

If none of these strike you, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

deathkricket 12-08-2009 12:14 AM

If you like semi auto i would suggest something like a Glock 23 as they can be fun range guns that pack a punch but not enough to hurt your hand after a long day of shooting or you could get the full size.If you prefer a revolver i suggest the GP100 as it is the smoothest revolver iv ever had the plesure of shooting and they are very durible to. both new should run you 5 to 700 depending on your state(at lest where i live) If you wana go cheaper i would look at getting a taurus semi or revolver as the public defender is fun to blast away with but you could still use it for any other needs as it shoots both .410 gauge and 45LC

spittinfire 12-08-2009 12:57 AM

I'm going to go with the GP. You can't beat a 357 for versatility and the GP is a TANK! You can move up from the 22 with 38s and then to 357s. I personally think every pistol owner should have at least one 357....I have two and I often molest others with my eyes.

markerdown 12-08-2009 01:03 AM

Personally, I think everyone needs to own a blackhawk at least once during his/her lifetime. You can't go wrong with one.

As far as the "legally smashed" part of your post. Read the post in the clubhouse.. you'll be starting your list :D... Just be safe, don't do nuthin stupid and have a DD . It's a right of passage..... enjoy yourself.........................markerdown

CA357 12-08-2009 01:39 AM

The GP100 will serve you until you take the dirtnap and then be used by your kids and grandkids and great grandkids and so on. You get the idea. ;)

The Blackhawk is a great choice, but being single action, it loses if you ever want to carry.

The Kimber is a great pistol and you won't go wrong with it either.

It just depends on what you ultimately want to spend and if you prefer a pistol over a revolver. However, the Kimber will be easier to carry than the GP100.

You have a nice decision to make. :cool:

Mr. Bluesky 12-08-2009 03:12 AM

As I said, I don't plan on carrying this. Eventually, when I'm in a position to carry (i.e. not on a college campus where I'll get arrested), I'll get something specifically for the purpose, maybe a Glock or XD.

CA357 12-08-2009 03:23 AM

In that case, go with the GP100. You can shoot .38's or .357's and .357 is a great round.

I've gone through a number of 1911's, but I still have my first GP100. ;)

canebrake 12-08-2009 03:31 AM

No brainer, 357/38 GP100. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

LotzORemmies 12-08-2009 03:47 AM

its your first gun, get something cheap and easy to clean and reliable.... cough... glock. I've put easily 10,000 rounds (probably a hell of a lot more) though my 17 9mm without a single jam to date! clean it six times a year. bought for 400 as a factory refurb police issue 89 model. Just my two cents :) Just stay away from that Kimber.... selling a kidney to buy ammo is no fun imo.

Jpyle 12-08-2009 04:13 AM

If you are looking for a semi-auto stainless in 9mm check out the Beretta 92 Inox.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merch...eretta92fI.jpg