Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Newbies & .40 S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've shot Deagle .50s, scandium .44 mags, as well as a S&W .500 - I didn't buy any of them though. While I can control them as well - they are not comfortable nor fun to shoot. If a gun is not enjoyable to shoot - folks will not practice enough to become really proficient...

Old 02-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #22

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I've shot Deagle .50s, scandium .44 mags, as well as a S&W .500 - I didn't buy any of them though. While I can control them as well - they are not comfortable nor fun to shoot. If a gun is not enjoyable to shoot - folks will not practice enough to become really proficient...
I agree with your statement and I did not mean to imply anything about your personal ability to handle any firearm. That being said a .40 PPS (or ANY .40S&W) is hardly in the same category as any of the guns you mentioned.

Hell my wife carries a 3" Kimber UltraCarry 1911 in .45acp and shoots it all the time, as a matter of fact it is her prefered IDPA gun and she is just a 5'3" girl... My daughter enjoys shooting magnum revolvers including my rather light 4" barrel S&W Mountain gun with full power loads and she did give my .500 a whirl a few times and had quite a smile on her face. Both have been properly trained and are very proficient shooters.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #23

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I'd personally rather shoot a baby .45 than a baby .40 and I've shot both in the same session. Had a Kahr P40 and a P45 and TBH the .45 was easier to keep on target. My wife is also a tiny gal and she handles a .45 well and also dislikes the .40 due to the significant muzzle flip.

Again, I'm not bashing the .40 as it has a role. I picked up my Para P16 as a backup pin gun when .45 was hard to find...

Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I'd personally rather shoot a baby .45 than a baby .40 and I've shot both in the same session. Had a Kahr P40 and a P45 and TBH the .45 was easier to keep on target. My wife is also a tiny gal and she handles a .45 well and also dislikes the .40 due to the significant muzzle flip.

Again, I'm not bashing the .40 as it has a role. I picked up my Para P16 as a backup pin gun when .45 was hard to find...
I do agree in general with the .45 feeling like it stays on target a little easier. I think a lot of it also has to do with the ammo you are shooting on the .40. I do most of my target/practice with the WWB 165gr. FMJ target load and shoot a boatload of my carry 155gr. HPs. Both rounds are highly controlable even in light guns like the P2000SK and the Kahrs.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #25

I'm new to owning a pistol and my first is .40S&W. I shot 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp, and wanted to go with the .45 because it was managable and fun to shoot, and of course the wow factor. I was comfortable with all of them. At the time, it was the cost/availability of feeding it. I ended up, however, at .40S&W because I could afford the ammo, and it was available. Otherwise, I would have only been putting about 25rounds through it every few weeks. Had I known that wasn't going to last, I may have made a different decision. The way I see it, I'll just have to expand my collection if I'm dissatisfied in the future. And, thats not a bad thing.

I wanted to, and have, put enough rounds down range to feel very comfortable. I spoke to friends and aquiantances with ample experience and came to my decision on my own. I must say, that NONE of the shops I went to, recommended any size. As a matter of fact, it was very difficult to get an opinion out of them at all. I just don't see them pushing any specific caliber.

So far, I'm happy with it.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #26

Every store I go to has a stock load of 40 S&W 180GR but that really seems to be it. 80% of everything else is always out of stock.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #27

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Around here the .40 is what LE carries. When I went through the academy, my brother was already LE and when it came time for shooting he told me to start out with the .40. It was highly probable that I would be issued a .40 when I got a job. He was right my department used .40's.

That advice combined with the lies I was told about the 9mm over penetration and the lack of penetration of the .45, I went with the .40. I was lucky though, I learned with a Beretta 96. A good gun in all respects, steel, long, accurate and numerous other features.

Now that I have logged tens of thousands of rounds behind a handgun, I prefer the .40. It is a great compromise between capacity and power. I do expect my opinion to change, now that I own a 1911 in .45.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-14-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Now that I have logged tens of thousands of rounds behind a handgun, I prefer the .40. It is a great compromise between capacity and power. I do expect my opinion to change, now that I own a 1911 in .45.
The .45 acp is a great caliber, so is the .40S&W and so is te 9mm. Even if you fall in love with the 1911 platform don't fall into that trap of becoming a caliber snob. It'll keep you from having a lot of fun with many different calibers/guns.

My three favorite carry guns are my 1911 in .45, my H&K in .40 and my Walther PPS in 9mm. All of them OUTSTANDING guns!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:17 AM   #29

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
The .45 acp is a great caliber, so is the .40S&W and so is te 9mm. Even if you fall in love with the 1911 platform don't fall into that trap of becoming a caliber snob. It'll keep you from having a lot of fun with many different calibers/guns.

My three favorite carry guns are my 1911 in .45, my H&K in .40 and my Walther PPS in 9mm. All of them OUTSTANDING guns!!!
LOL, I do fall into that trap. However, when it comes to handguns I always wanted to have the same caliber so I didn't have to keep a bunch of ammo around for different guns. Until I got the 1911, it just seemed sacrilegious to get that in .40. If I do get another auto, it will probably be a 10...assuming I don't get the .460.

I don't know why I don't get a 9mm it's kind of like a .22. It's fun to shoot and you can blow of five mags as fast as you can pull the trigger and not feel like you need to apply for a loan.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
LOL, I do fall into that trap. However, when it comes to handguns I always wanted to have the same caliber so I didn't have to keep a bunch of ammo around for different guns. Until I got the 1911, it just seemed sacrilegious to get that in .40. If I do get another auto, it will probably be a 10...assuming I don't get the .460.

I don't know why I don't get a 9mm it's kind of like a .22. It's fun to shoot and you can blow of five mags as fast as you can pull the trigger and not feel like you need to apply for a loan.
With a whole family of shooters to support 9mm pistols are almost a nessesity for my budget. I dont have the time to reload so WallyWorld 250 round UMC bulk packs are the easy/cheap way to keep everyone in practice ammo. I just buy a boatload of them and empty them into 50cal ammo cans until they are full, and everyone gets to take their own can to the range.
Look at the SIG P6 (P225) German police imports that are floating around. A little rough on the outside but excellent mechanical condition and they are running in the $300's (for a SIG!) You might even end up throwing it on your belt every once in a while