Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Newbies & .40 S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Newbies & .40 S&W

Seems to me that many, many folks new to handguns begin with a gun chambered in .40 and I was just wondering why. Do the gunstores push .40 on new folks or something? No I'm not bashing the .40 as I have one but I'm just wondering why many beginners start down the pistol path with this caliber.

In large steel guns I find .40 a decent caliber but I do not like the snappy recoil pulse in the smaller and lighter guns. Personally, I think a .45 is easier to shoot accurately if you must have a caliber that starts with a "4". BTW, I expect the "macho" guys to be here soon and extol the virtues of their scandium framed .44 magnum snubbies...

Last edited by NGIB; 02-10-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I dunno????? I do know that .40 S&W ammunition is much more availiable in my area than 9mm(rare) or .45acp(unicornish). That would be one reason to own the .40. Additionally, they just want the seemingly more "stopping power" (can be debated) than the 9mm and more round capacity than the .45acp.

I really liked my XDSC40 and had no trouble managing the recoil. Accurate and reliable, but not near as much as my CZ75B 9mm. A friend of mine is still enjoying my old XD and he wanted the .40 down from the .45 because of cost and availiability. Funny thing, since he got it he has only shot it once.

My dad likes 9mm ghey'..er...I mean glocks and my uncle (long time gunsmith) loves 1911's in 10mm. To each their own.

I believe most people just don't do research before popping into their gunshop and getting a handgun. Most people don't even shoot them much.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #3

Some gun shops sell the 40 as a compromise between the high cap. of the 9, and the stopping power of the 45. I guess some people think they are gonna get the best of both calibers, in the 40 Personally, the 40 is the last cal. I would recommend to a newbie. Just too snappy.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

After doing much research years ago, my first handgun was......yep 40s&w.
Liked the Hi-capacity of the 9mm but the 45Acp had the fight stopping reputation.
So I chose the 40 as a compromise, the best of both worlds, and thats what LEO were switching to at the time.
Now that I'm older and wiser
Can you guess which side of the compromise have I shifted to?
Give you a hint, it rhymes with 45ACP

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's bigger than a 9mm and cheaper than a .45, if I had to guess.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think some new shooters believe a .45 is too brutal to shoot--I agree with others that my .45s are more pleasant to shoot than my .40s. I have a little arthritis and the .40s seems to really affect my wrists, I guess "too snappy" is as close as I can come to the description. Not sure why dealers would push the .40s instead of 9mm for new shooters--I think it's probably more likely the new shooters read up on the .40 and ask for it, but that's just a guess...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #7

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'm a big guy that could handle just about any recoil,but since I never owned an auto before-I chose 9mm so that I could afford to master it.I think that the differences in energy between 9mm,.40,and.45 are so close that all of them will do the job just the same-but 9mm ammo is half the price almost of the other 2.

untitled.jpg  

Last edited by ninjatoth; 02-10-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Hell. I got a couple of M&P .40's. The ammo is abundant around here and I still use them in some steel matches. If you can tame the "snappy recoil" and shoot them enough to keep them on or around 2-3 inch groupings at 15-25 yards, then you will find a .45 will be a piece of cake to shoot and put on target.....IMHO, and from my personal experience of course.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #9

the only reason I bought a .40 is because the XDSC is not available in .45 auto. The XD45 service model was my first pistol. The only difference i notice in recoil is that the .40 jumps a bit more in my hand; and i attribute that to the smaller size of the sub compact.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've had the luxury of owning a few of the same guns in .40 and another caliber. I've had XD subcompacts in 9mm & .40, a Kahr PM9 & PM40, a Kahr P40 & P45, and I find the recoil impulse of the .40 in any small platform to be not conducive to fast accurate shooting. The muzzle flip and "snap" is just not worth the moderate gain in ballistics over the 9mm IMHO.

The reason I bring this up is that a common thread I see is a newbie buying his first gun and it's a .40 and the story doesn't end well. On my local GA forum, a fella decided his dream gun would be a Walther PPS in .40 - and many of us regulars suggested he look at the PPS in 9mm instead. Of course our advice (based on real experience) was ignored.

He sung the praises of this little cannon for a few weeks, then nothing for a few weeks, and then the gun was listed in the buy/sell/trade section - he was looking for a smallish gun in 9mm...