Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie Questions

This may sound like a stupid question but this brand new SIG Sauer P226 is indeed my first purchased gun so I am new to buying guns. The gun came well-lubricated in the box and it was purchased from Buds Gun Shop. I had to wipe some of the excess lubrication off the side of the slide upon removing it. I can also see how it is freshly lubricated in other areas (barrel, chamber, etc...). Is it safe for me to fire the gun with this lube on it? I'd assume this is a special non-flammable lubrication but I know regulars like WD-40 are very flammable. I also noticed that the manual itself said not to fire an overly lubricated gun.

My second question is, the manual says that me firing "reloaded" ammunition voids the warranty and is bad for the gun or could cause problems. It says in big letters to "Only use high quality, original, factory ammunition." I was planning on firing my range's ammo because that is what I fired in this exact gun that I rented from them. I fired 100 of those rounds with no problems. Is this a bad idea? I just wanted to do it for practice because it's cheap and I don't need special rounds to simply fire at targets. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

My general rule of thumb is clean and lubricate a brand gun before you shoot it. They put way too much oil on these things because they are going to sit for a while before they are sold, usually anyway. I only shoot new ammo, reloads are cheaper but I only want the best stuff run through my guns. It would probably be just fine but I wouldn't do it, that is way too nice a gun to risk anything, I should know, I have one. You made a great choice and should have trouble free usage for years and years so take care of it and it will shoot when you need it every time. My two cents anyway.

Colt New Agent 45ACP Talo Limited Edition
Glock 23 Gen 3 40S&W
H&K USP Compact 40S&W

Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2276 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I would clean the firearm as instructed in the owner's manual first. Too much lube in some areas will collect and become gunk in areas that may be hard to clean later.

Using reloads will void the warranty. Use the recommended ammo until you think that you no longer need the warranty.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
This may sound like a stupid question but this brand new SIG Sauer P226 is indeed my first purchased gun so I am new to buying guns. The gun came well-lubricated in the box and it was purchased from Buds Gun Shop. I had to wipe some of the excess lubrication off the side of the slide upon removing it. I can also see how it is freshly lubricated in other areas (barrel, chamber, etc...). Is it safe for me to fire the gun with this lube on it? I'd assume this is a special non-flammable lubrication but I know regulars like WD-40 are very flammable. I also noticed that the manual itself said not to fire an overly lubricated gun.

My second question is, the manual says that me firing "reloaded" ammunition voids the warranty and is bad for the gun or could cause problems. It says in big letters to "Only use high quality, original, factory ammunition." I was planning on firing my range's ammo because that is what I fired in this exact gun that I rented from them. I fired 100 of those rounds with no problems. Is this a bad idea? I just wanted to do it for practice because it's cheap and I don't need special rounds to simply fire at targets. Thanks.
As for the lube, give it a cleaning yourself, and everything will be fine. If you haven't cleaned a gun before, there are plenty of videos on YouTube to show you.

Shooting reloads is a bit controversial in some circles. Some will tell you never. Some will tell you never unless you did it yourself (kind of like an attractive girl accepting a drink at a party).

Myself, if you have a pro at your range who is reloading, I'd feel pretty comfortable shooting his stuff. But you do have to be willing to sacrifice the warranty (if that's important to you). There's just no way for a gun manufacturer to ensure that any reloaded ammunition won't overstress the gun.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If using reloads voids the warranty,it's because bad reloads could damage the gun...

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #6

Thanks guys. Sounds like I should stick to factory ammo only for now at least. Having said this, are their any reputable websites that sell ammo that you'd recommend? And what about snapcaps? Are they safe for the gun and not warranty voiding? Thaqnks again for all the info.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Many ranges buy commercially reloaded ammo to cut costs, Georgia Arms comes to mind and they supply many of the local ranges. The commercially reloaded stuff passes the same QC that factory new ammo goes through and the range wouldn't accept the liability if it didn't. Reloads from your buddy or an unknown source are a totally different story...

Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7563 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Snap caps are not only fine, but a good idea. There is RELOADED ammo that came from my loading bench, and REMANUFACTURED ammo- made by a company that does this as a business. I will not shoot anybody else's reloads- no problems with buying remanufactured ammo. For internet ammo, I would start with Midway and ammoman.com, but also check ammo sales on auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com- remember to factor in cost of shipping ammo (UPS ground) As far as warranty void- yep- they cannot gurantee a gun against a badly loaded round. I am more certain of the quality of MY reloads than I am of factory ammo- your mileage may vary, void where prohibited or taxed, member FDIC.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Like many other times past, C3 has corrected my bad choice of words. I did indeed mean to use the word "remanufactured" for the ammo I see at a lot of local ranges...

Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

A new gun out of the box should be perfectly safe to shoot. But clean it anyway. That will help you familiarize yourself with your new gun, you'll cycle it a few times, maybe dry fire it some, etc.

Most ranges in my area that sell non-factory ammunition sell remanufactured ammo. The quality of these is as good as cheaper factory stuff (Winchester White Box, for example). I've had a few (very few) rounds with problems, about the same as with cheaper factory ammo.

Gun manufacturers specify "no reloads" in their warranty because there are Darwin Award candidates out there making their "special home-grown" loads that far exceed what the gun can handle. (If the first round don't break the gun, I can shoot these all day, right?)

I don't know where you live, but around here, Walmart usually has better prices on factory ammo than I can get on remanufactured ammo. So check there first, or at some other major retailer that sells ammo.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs