Newbie Question.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Newbie Question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie Question.

Figured I'd go ahead and ask a question.

I've got a Hi-Point .380 ACP. 8 Round Clip. Nice little gun, it could be nicer though.

I've fired a couple of magazines with it and it fires well, and it's fairly accurate.
But I've found a rattle, well the rattle was there when I bought it... so is it normal for an empty gun to rattle? Or is it just brand related? (cheapness!) ..

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #2

I recently read a similar question about a Glock .

Both the HighPoint and Glock are striker fired weapons and the owner of the Glock was told this is normal when the gun is uncocked and that it is just the firing pin with some freeplay when uncocked .

Unload the weapon remove the magazine and cock it on and empty chamber and see if the rattle stops , it may indeed be a quirk of the striker fired guns .

Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Rattles are OK on most auto-loaders. It isn't because it's a cheap gun, it's the design. Some pistols simply rattle more than others, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by Mark F; 10-11-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #4

Default Newbie Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Rattles are OK on most auto-loaders. It isn't because it's a cheap gun, it's the design. Some pistols simply rattle more than others, I wouldn't worry about it.
It is just the nature of the beast. Do not sweat it.

A armed man is a citizen. A unarmed man is a subject.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ad_eye View Post
Figured I'd go ahead and ask a question.

I've got a Hi-Point .380 ACP. 8 Round Clip. Nice little gun, it could be nicer though.

I've fired a couple of magazines with it and it fires well, and it's fairly accurate.
But I've found a rattle, well the rattle was there when I bought it... so is it normal for an empty gun to rattle? Or is it just brand related? (cheapness!) ..

Thank you.
I have to set the record straight here! It's not a CLIP, it's a MAGAZINE. An 8 round magazine... Please don't get sucked into a way of gun ignorance just because Jo Blo says clip... Trust me, Jo Blo is dumber than snot on a door knob.

Here is a detailed explaination if you are interested: http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html

Last edited by Mark F; 10-12-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The rattle from your Hi-Point .380 most likely comes from the back of your mag well.

stick your finger up the mag well, and hold it against the back. There's a bar that runs up the whole length. Now shake your gun a little (make sure it's completely, absolutely, positively unloaded).

If there is no more rattling, then you've found it. My Hi-Point C9 does the same thing. Your weapon is fine. Like others here have already said, sometimes different guns rattle. It's the nature of the beast.

Posted by Mark F:

Quote:
Please don't get sucked into a way of gun ignorance just because Jo Blo says clip... Trust me, Jo Blo is dumber than snot on a door knob.
Dude! It's not gun ignorance! It's firearm ignorance! NOOB! *kick* *punch*

.........just playin with ya.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
The rattle from your Hi-Point .380 most likely comes from the back of your mag well.

stick your finger up the mag well, and hold it against the back. There's a bar that runs up the whole length. Now shake your gun a little (make sure it's completely, absolutely, positively unloaded).

If there is no more rattling, then you've found it. My Hi-Point C9 does the same thing. Your weapon is fine. Like others here have already said, sometimes different guns rattle. It's the nature of the beast.

Posted by Mark F:
Dude! It's not gun ignorance! It's firearm ignorance! NOOB! *kick* *punch*

.........just playin with ya.
Tanx Sarge!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Shoot I bet it doesn't rattle as much as the first 45 I was issued in the CANG. It sounded like a handfull of pee gravel in a metal lunch box. I guess that when you have seen combat in WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm and plenty of range time you tnd to get a little loose.