Newbie...needs knowledge!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Newbie...needs knowledge!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
$200 9mm home defense gun?? Hi-point like NGIB said is the only thing that comes to mind.

I would look for a good used mossberg 500 12guage.
As would I...

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 263 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by philacious View Post
Range gun and home defense. Probably 9mm Semi-Auto. I would really like a Glock, but as I said I can't spend that much. $200 is probably my limit for the next few years. Would it be best to wait until I can afford the more expensive better brands?

Better to wait. SW Sigmas are available (new) in 9mm and 40sw for $250-300. If you like Glocks, the Sigmas should suit you pretty well at that price. Some Ruger P-series 9mm can also be found for around $300.

IMO those are the two best 9mm options for $300 or less. Getting all the way down to $200 will be tough though. I guess you've got Hi-point ($130-180), but I'd save up the extra $100+ for a SW or Ruger.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #13

Liked 765 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 463

I have to agree with many of the posts here and recommend a basic shotgun for HD. A $200-$300 handgun is...well, a $300 handgun and your options are severly limited. On the other hand a $200-300 Mossberg 500, Maverick 88 or Remington 870 is a fairly decent and reliable firearm.

Not knocking Hi-Point or S&W but pound for pound a shotgun is, in my opinion, a better choice at this price point, not to mention that you are potentially gambling with your life and that of your family on the cheapest pistol money can buy.

In a few years as time and finances allow you can pick up a decent entry level semi-auto or revolver from a broader range of options for $400 and up.

Best of Luck...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-07-2010, 04:28 AM   #14

Like sweeper22 said the ruger P series are good guns I picked up a P 95 in 9mm for like $350 brand new with 2 mags and I am very happy with it I have put about 700 rounds through it and havn't had a problem with it.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philacious View Post
Hello all! Although I have always been interested in firearms I have not had to opportunity to get involved. I would like to purchase a pistol, but can't spend anywhere near $600 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions on a pistol make and model that is dependable, safe, and durable as well as "cheap"??
Cheap and dependable are words that oppose each other in terms of firearms. You might be sorry buying a "cheap" gun for if you ever need to use it for defensive purposes. Inexpensive and dependable is quite possible if you do some research and keep your eye out for a serviceable used pistol.

I would highly recommend that you attend a beginner class at an indoor range. Most of these courses will acquaint you with some very basic safety and will allow you to shoot a few calibers of both revolvers and pistols. A 3-4 hour class including guns and ammo is usually about $60.00.

Once you take a beginner class you can return to the range and rent either a revolver or pistol by the hour. While at the range check to see what is available in the way of used pistols. You can also check out some new guns and their prices. Ask questions. If you feel intimidated by gun salesmen, take your wife with you. Some of the gun salesmen expect a man to know guns and might come across as snobs. They always seem to take the time to explain more to a women.

Last edited by sigp250; 04-07-2010 at 05:02 AM.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
At a $200 budget have you thought of a shotgun for home defense? Some shutguns come with a two barrel combo and at used prices can be very practical. Shooting sporting clays at an outdoor gun range can be fun. Just a thought...
This is a good suggestion, my first hd gun was a Mossberg 500 that I got at a gun show for less than $200. That was all I could afford as well. It allowed me to sleep easier, and Develop a Hobby. Unless you need to carry, I would suggest this. Going to the an outdoor range and shooting sporting clays, is relatively inexpensive, easy to do, and loads of fun. Get proficient with a12 gauge and you will be more than adaquately armed.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #17

Thanks for all the suggestions...I like the idea of getting a .22 pistol to get used to shooting. Then maybe I will try my hand at some larger calibers in the future.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
At the $200 price point about the only thing available that is even remotely reliable is a Hi Point.
Come on NGIB. Don't steer him in the wrong direction...LOL

Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #19

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

+1 on the pawn shops. I bought a Ruger P90 for $200. It was a little scratched up. But it has a hogue rubber combat style grip. It is 45ACP. Good deals can be found. You just have to look for them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 04-08-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I started out in clays trap, skeet and sporting clays. I got a used rem 1100 which is still such a sweet gun to shoot. I then purchased a Browning Citori which is nice but i still like my 1100. That was about 10 years ago. I fell outta the sport but now am getting back into it and am getting a pistol for the home and the range.

Tags
beginner, cheapest pistol, dependable pistol