Newbie...needs knowledge!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Newbie...needs knowledge!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie...needs knowledge!!

Hello all! Although I have always been interested in firearms I have not had to opportunity to get involved. I would like to purchase a pistol, but can't spend anywhere near $600 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions on a pistol make and model that is dependable, safe, and durable as well as "cheap"??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Carry gun, range gun, home defense gun? Caliber preference? Revolver or semi-auto? Have you shot any handguns before? How much do you want to spend? If we have some more information, we can offer you some viable suggestions...

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #3

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

Stop by the introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself.

What kind of budget are you working with. There are a lot of options out there.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #4

Range gun and home defense. Probably 9mm Semi-Auto. I would really like a Glock, but as I said I can't spend that much. $200 is probably my limit for the next few years. Would it be best to wait until I can afford the more expensive better brands?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

At the $200 price point about the only thing available that is even remotely reliable is a Hi Point. If you can get to $400, there are a lot more choices - especially in the used market...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

At a $200 budget have you thought of a shotgun for home defense? Some shutguns come with a two barrel combo and at used prices can be very practical. Shooting sporting clays at an outdoor gun range can be fun. Just a thought...

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You may want to start with a .22 pistol--not great for home defense but at least you'll be able to shoot it a lot and become proficient before you move up to a larger caliber. A good used .22 can be had for $200--Ruger Mark III, Browning Buckmark, and others. Good luck.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Carry gun, range gun, home defense gun? Caliber preference? Revolver or semi-auto? Have you shot any handguns before? How much do you want to spend? If we have some more information, we can offer you some viable suggestions...
I would suggest pawn shops. I picked my Glock 23 up at one for $250. Sure it was super old and broke a month later, but I sent it back to Glock Inc. and they fixed it for free.

You can never go wrong with Glock's lifetime warranty.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
I would suggest pawn shops. I picked my Glock 23 up at one for $250. Sure it was super old and broke a month later, but I sent it back to Glock Inc. and they fixed it for free.

You can never go wrong with Glock's lifetime warranty.
Did you have another gun for defense while your Glock was away being serviced? Assuming you don't live in Smyrna GA, do you factor in the costs of shipping said Glock? Yes, Glock has a great warranty but $250 Glocks are as rare as hens teeth for that reason. I cruise the local pawn shops often and much of what I see is either overpriced or junk. They will sell you a Jennings, Bryco or Lorcin and swear it's the best gun made...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-06-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

$200 9mm home defense gun?? Hi-point like NGIB said is the only thing that comes to mind.

I would look for a good used mossberg 500 12guage.

Tags
beginner, cheapest pistol, dependable pistol