Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Newbie...needs knowledge!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/newbie-needs-knowledge-25722/)

philacious 04-06-2010 08:37 PM

Newbie...needs knowledge!!

Hello all! Although I have always been interested in firearms I have not had to opportunity to get involved. I would like to purchase a pistol, but can't spend anywhere near $600 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions on a pistol make and model that is dependable, safe, and durable as well as "cheap"??

NGIB 04-06-2010 08:41 PM

Carry gun, range gun, home defense gun? Caliber preference? Revolver or semi-auto? Have you shot any handguns before? How much do you want to spend? If we have some more information, we can offer you some viable suggestions...

Rick1967 04-06-2010 08:41 PM

Stop by the introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself.

What kind of budget are you working with. There are a lot of options out there.

philacious 04-06-2010 09:33 PM

Range gun and home defense. Probably 9mm Semi-Auto. I would really like a Glock, but as I said I can't spend that much. $200 is probably my limit for the next few years. Would it be best to wait until I can afford the more expensive better brands?

NGIB 04-06-2010 09:35 PM

At the $200 price point about the only thing available that is even remotely reliable is a Hi Point. If you can get to $400, there are a lot more choices - especially in the used market...

UnderFire 04-06-2010 10:05 PM

At a $200 budget have you thought of a shotgun for home defense? Some shutguns come with a two barrel combo and at used prices can be very practical. Shooting sporting clays at an outdoor gun range can be fun. Just a thought...

Missileman 04-06-2010 10:27 PM

You may want to start with a .22 pistol--not great for home defense but at least you'll be able to shoot it a lot and become proficient before you move up to a larger caliber. A good used .22 can be had for $200--Ruger Mark III, Browning Buckmark, and others. Good luck.

Normal 04-06-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 265376)
Carry gun, range gun, home defense gun? Caliber preference? Revolver or semi-auto? Have you shot any handguns before? How much do you want to spend? If we have some more information, we can offer you some viable suggestions...

I would suggest pawn shops. I picked my Glock 23 up at one for $250. Sure it was super old and broke a month later, but I sent it back to Glock Inc. and they fixed it for free.

You can never go wrong with Glock's lifetime warranty. :D

NGIB 04-06-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normal (Post 265473)
I would suggest pawn shops. I picked my Glock 23 up at one for $250. Sure it was super old and broke a month later, but I sent it back to Glock Inc. and they fixed it for free.

You can never go wrong with Glock's lifetime warranty. :D

Did you have another gun for defense while your Glock was away being serviced? Assuming you don't live in Smyrna GA, do you factor in the costs of shipping said Glock? Yes, Glock has a great warranty but $250 Glocks are as rare as hens teeth for that reason. I cruise the local pawn shops often and much of what I see is either overpriced or junk. They will sell you a Jennings, Bryco or Lorcin and swear it's the best gun made...

Gojubrian 04-07-2010 12:17 AM

$200 9mm home defense gun?? Hi-point like NGIB said is the only thing that comes to mind.

I would look for a good used mossberg 500 12guage.