Newbie here with some questions :) - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Newbie here with some questions :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

So today can be summed up in one word: awesome! I ended up just shooting 9mm guns just so that I was not buying different types of ammo. Next time ill be doing revolvers!

I ended up shooting the smith and wesson m&p, glock 17, springfield xd, and Springfield emp. All were very nice. The s&w emp felt the best out of them all, but for the retail price of $1200, ill put that one on the back burner for now. The one that would feel better in hand and price-wise would be the s&w m&p.

I didnt have as much time as i wanted to shoot them all because I was sharing the lane with 3 other friends for just 1 hour. But it was enough time for me to realize this is something I want to buy!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
I would try the Springfield 1911A1, Glock 17, Beretta 92FS, Bushmaster AR-15 (to get a feel for one of the long guns you WILL eventually buy ), Ruger GP100 and maybe A Sig or XD.
That'll give you a feel for some of the most popular firearms out there and will probably help you with your decision.

Good luck and welcome to a very addictive hobby!
I REALLY wanted to try the ruger gp100 but didnt have the time. Thats a definite for the next round.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
You must shoot the S&W 617. It's a 6 or 10-shot .22 revolver with a 4" or 6" barrel. You can learn a lot about trigger control, breathing, stance, sighting, etc with this gun, and it won't be loud, won't hurt your hand, and won't spit hot brass on you.

Definitely also shoot the Glocks and 1911s. For pure fun, try shooting a lever-action rifle.
the 617 was another one that caught my eye while I was there! I'll add that to the for sure list on my next trip.

Pretty funny that the suggestions so far were the ones I wanted to try. Guess I have a good eye?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #24
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2091 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post

I ended up shooting the smith and wesson m&p, glock 17, springfield xd, and Springfield emp. All were very nice. The s&w emp felt the best out of them all, but for the retail price of $1200, ill put that one on the back burner for now.
The EMP is on my short list.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Lots of good advice here. I can't wait to hear what you pick.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Last edited by bleak23; 02-20-2011 at 03:31 AM.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak23 View Post
Lots of good advice here. I can't wait to hear what you pick.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Smith & Wesson M&P Pro Series. I'm planning on going to the range again, maybe this week, and shoot some more! I'd rather spend some money testing different guns than spending a whole lot of money on a gun and finding out it's not the one for me.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2091 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
Right now I'm leaning towards the Smith & Wesson M&P Pro Series. I'm planning on going to the range again, maybe this week, and shoot some more! I'd rather spend some money testing different guns than spending a whole lot of money on a gun and finding out it's not the one for me.
Smart move.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA