Newbie here - advice appreciated! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Newbie here - advice appreciated!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I save the little dessicant packages that seem to be a pain (they're everywhere). Using the correct sized plastic box and lid, you have a neat way to store and label your handguns. Especially helpful if you lose electricity for a week or so cuz of a hurricane.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Sig slides are stainless - even the black ones, and the frames are alloy. The benefit of the conversion kit is you're shooting the same frame with the same grip, trigger, and controls. I have one for my 229 and it's fun to shoot...

Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Stainless is just what it says, stains less than carbon steel, but it will still rust.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Sig slides are stainless - even the black ones, and the frames are alloy. The benefit of the conversion kit is you're shooting the same frame with the same grip, trigger, and controls. I have one for my 229 and it's fun to shoot...
Ditto what NGIB said--I have a Sig 220 45ACP and a .22 conversion for it--I like that I can practice with the same trigger, grip, safety, etc. for a ton less ammo costs, plus it's fun to shoot. Since you're in CA and can only have 10 round mags, why not try and shoot a Sig 220 in 45ACP and see how you like that? You can carry it with 9 rounds and have a better defensive weapon...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #15

Well I checked out the P226 today at my local (very good though) gun store. Luckily, the store near here is very highly reviewed and they were very friendly to me, even as a first timer.

I have an unrelated question that isn't really pertinent to now: How are other gun manufaturers? From what I've heard, H&K and SIG make great semiauto pistols. What about Kimber and Colt? A friend of mine really likes Kimbers but I don't think she shoots too often either. Basically, I'm wondering if there are any brands out there that I should just straight avoid? Are there any God awful pistols that it's difficult to be accurate with and jam a lot?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
Well I checked out the P226 today at my local (very good though) gun store. Luckily, the store near here is very highly reviewed and they were very friendly to me, even as a first timer.

I have an unrelated question that isn't really pertinent to now: How are other gun manufaturers? From what I've heard, H&K and SIG make great semiauto pistols. What about Kimber and Colt? A friend of mine really likes Kimbers but I don't think she shoots too often either. Basically, I'm wondering if there are any brands out there that I should just straight avoid? Are there any God awful pistols that it's difficult to be accurate with and jam a lot?
My Kimber works very well for me and canebrake loves his colts!

Here is a list of what to avoid completely in my opinion.

Bryco
Jennings
Phoenix Arms
Cobra
Lorcin
Accu-Tek

These are some cheap pistols and cheaply made as well. Hi-Points are cheap, but people say they function well. They are heavy and bulky though.

These are some good brands you can trust.

Smith&Wesson
Colt
Kimber
Ruger
NightHawk
Dan Wesson
Sig Sauer
H&K
Taurus is a crap shoot.

There are tons out there to choose from.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Taurus is a crap shoot.
Many folks are attracted to Taurus for the low price and lifetime warranty. Be warned that they make a LOT of lemons - you could get a good one and then again you may not.

Brian's list is good but I can't fathom why he left off the brand I own the most of - Springfield Armory. Another that makes very good carry guns is Kahr. For a great all around gun you can't go wrong with a Sig though - I currently have 4 of them: 220, 229, 238, 239...

Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Remington has gotten back in in pistol business with their version of the 1911a1. Also some Phillipines firearms can be looked at.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'd add Glock and Springfield (except for the G.I. model) to the trustworthy list. I've also heard good things about Kahr (as long as you break them in) but I don't have enough personal experience to recommend them first-hand.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd add Baretta and Browning to the good list.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"