Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Newbie here - advice appreciated! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/newbie-here-advice-appreciated-27524/)

NewGunz 05-24-2010 10:41 PM

Newbie here - advice appreciated!

I went to the local shooting range for the first time and fired 100 rounds with what I believe was a. 9mm SIG Sauer P220. I really liked it and I'd like to go a lot more in the future. Inorder to avoid rental fees and having to go with a buddy all the time, I want to buy a gun. I wanted to buy the P220 because I've heard great things about it and that I could get a .22 conversion kit for practice. But it turns out they only sell it in .45. Can I still do the conversion? Basically, I'm willing to dish out the cash for a good pistol that will serve me many years but I think a .45 is a bit much for my current skill level. Do you have any advice or recommendations for me? Thanks.

DrumJunkie 05-24-2010 10:45 PM

the 220 is a 45 ACP weapon. The 226 is made in 9mm and 40S&W. I believe there are 22 conversions for these but at the price they go for I'd be more inclined to get get a 22 pistol. Models like the Ruger MK III and Browning Buckmark are very affordable and gives you the option of having both weapons without having to take one down and convert it.

Oh..and stop by the intro threads. Let us know who you are :)

jakebrake 05-24-2010 10:55 PM

i agree with drum junkie on purchase of a 22. a conversion kit isn't cheap (i'm seeing one for 300+) a used a decent used 22 would probably set you back less.

the 226, however, is a very nice pistol. in 9mm (or 40), ammo won't break the bank, and the recoil isn't too heavy. just my opinion.

mesinge2 05-24-2010 11:00 PM

for the price of a 226 and a conversion kit, I would buy a 226 and a sig mosquito. This way the 22 lr pistol is quite similar to the 226 but a dedicated 22.

NewGunz 05-24-2010 11:10 PM

Thanks for the replies! It sounds to me like imay have shot a 226 to begin with. Either way, it looks like the 226 is my firearm. I just have 2 more questions. 1. Is the 226 legal in California? And 2. I live by the ocean, should I get a stainless steel model? The ocean air corrodes the crap out of every metal we have. Thanks.

jakebrake 05-24-2010 11:19 PM

according to what i can find as long as it does not have a magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds.

as far as stainless? i don't live near the ocean (curse you!!!!), so, i can't say one way or the other on that.

DrumJunkie 05-24-2010 11:53 PM

As long as you keep the weapon cleaned and lubed it shouldn't really matter.

jca1 05-25-2010 12:16 AM

They don't make P220 9mm's any more but they did in the past. You may have very well shot a P220 9mm. They are not easy to find anymore.

I think you should rent some more guns, different models, different brands and see what fits you the best. To me guns are like shoes, they have to fit the user.

CA357 05-25-2010 12:31 AM

The P226 is quite legal in CA. But you may only have 10 round magazines for it. I own a 9mm model that I bought used and like it a bunch.

Here is a link to the CA D.O.J. Roster of "Approved" Handguns. If it's on the list, you can have it in CA: Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Flat4sti 05-25-2010 02:55 AM

I have a good friend whose father lives on the intercoastal here in florida. Well he goes as far as to store his guns wrapped in this shrink wrap stuff used in surgery. I guess its like a real strong glad cling wrap.

If you want the p226 comes in a navy variant where the internals are coated in their Nitron finish to help them resist corrosion.