Newbie help: which pistol?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Newbie help: which pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie help: which pistol?

Hey there, everyone. I'm a new kid on the block in the world of guns. A few weeks ago, I started to heavily consider picking up a handgun for home defense, and as a possible CCW. I've been looking around, and here is a list of the guns that have really caught my attention:

CZ P01*
CZ P07 DUTY
HK 45c*
HK USPc
P99c*
G39
G30
Steyr S-A1*
P220 Compact OR Carry

Obviously, these are almost all compacts. I'm not looking for anything that will make my dick bigger. Mostly, I just want a compact gun, that's reliable and effective.

But I have a few other questions, if anyone's willing to answer them.

What's the difference between a hammer fire and striker fire gun? Pros and Cons? (is that the right terminology?)

Why carry .45 over 9mm? Vice versa?

DA, SA, or DA/SA?

Before anyone asks, I have not fired or held any of these yet. I'd like to get a reasonable shopping list before I start doing all that.

If anyone has a suggestion for something I haven't listed, please let me know.

Thanks for all the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

How about dropping by the introductions area and tell us a little about yourself?

Not knowing your experience level could have you going down the wrong road. What I have for self-defense and CCW may not work for you. And would you ask us what car to buy?

Try to find a range that rents firearms and shoot some. I don't want to be the one to say get Brand-X and you do not know how to shoot it and have your thumb ripped off.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 472 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You will have to choose what is right for you. I couldn't tell you what to get.
Newbie help: which pistol? - General Handgun Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Unlike Danf,
I will be happy to tell you what to get. My pick is Kel-Tec
if you like a 9mm, look at the P-11 or the PF-9
for pocket ccw carry look at the P3AT or the P32
They are all very affordable and well made by Kel-Tec, a company who also makes very close tolerance parts for NASA when they aren't making handguns.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

I'm not looking for someone to say, "Hm. Buy (this) gun." but more so to give opinions on them. If you own any of those, could you share your thoughts on it, concerning ergonomics, accuracy, reliability, etc. If someone says "I bought a USPc and a G39. The G39 jams everytime I use it, and the USP sights are hard to see" then that will help me narrow down my list. I don't want to search for and rent 10 different guns.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Sorry, but the 1911a1 is the best IMHO. Others have their places (and I do have others). I believe that you should not rely on one firearm for everything. Different circumstances require different firearms.

I like the easily repaired firearm, in a common caliber that is available where ever I go. The platform is one that I have considerable experience with.

Now which do you think will meet your needs? A gun shop should have enough examples that you can pick and feel ergonomics. Start there and eliminate those that won't work. Look at how the trigger works. Does the trigger guard give you enough room. Is it of a caliber that will get the job done, or just p*ss someone off. Is it too heavy or too light? Is it comfortable in a holster? Will it feed hollowpoints or just ball ammo?

Have you looked at the 1911a1?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh I very much like 1911 style guns too, I just didn't know you were ready yet for the STI EDGE 2011. Mine is in .45acp and it shoots very accurately indeed. I did pay almost $2,000 for it tho...

Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Find a range that rents and offers training. Shoot a few get some training it will focus your question better and let us help you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:38 AM   #9

Liked 339 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm-x-specs View Post
CZ P01*
CZ P07 DUTY
HK 45c*
HK USPc
P99c*
G39
G30
Steyr S-A1*
P220 Compact OR Carry
Of the guns you listed, I know very little about the Steyr. Everything else has a fine rep, and the Steyr may be a great gun too for all I know.

I'd avoid the Glock 39 for two reasons. First, it's a subcompact. So the grip is so tiny that it's got very little use beyond carry. It's also a 45GAP. This caliber performs fine, but I'd never choose it over the similar but far more acquireable 45acp.

You probably want to start with a compact gun that can be carried, but handles and performs similar to a full-framed platform. That'll certainly work for carry in winter months in Utah. As the weather warms up and you better learn what you value in a carry gun, you can look for something smaller if needed.

My carry gun is an XD 45c. But I'll probably switch to some sort of single stack 9mm when things warm up. Don't rule out 9mm for a second. It's a fine defense round, and a pretty darn good learning platform due to the cost and availability of ammo.

If I were to recommend one gun based on your list (and what it infers about your budget, etc), I'd stray a little off script and mention a Sig P239. Big enough to handle well, and a very concealable single stack.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:52 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Crap all over the 45 gap if you like Sweeper,
But in truth it is still sitting on the shelves of many gun stores. Also like the 5.7x28 ammo it's prices never rose drastically like most all other ammo did