Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New XDM (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-xdm-44441/)

TheSadPanda 06-28-2011 08:12 AM

New XDM

Just found out about it, and I didn't see any threads about it. Here ya go!

Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(m) Polymer Handgun

Enjoy! What are your opinions?

opaww 06-28-2011 09:30 AM

Its made for competition shooting not much good for CCW, and sense I don't compete with anyone but myself I don't need it.

Thadeuce 06-28-2011 02:50 PM

Here's another link to it...

The Springfield Armory XD(M) 5.25 9mm Rob Leatham Design for Competition

Firearms4ever 06-28-2011 03:16 PM

It appears to be a fine choice for a competition firearm, but regarding a carry, home defense, or range firearm I don't think it would be a good choice for that.

orangello 06-28-2011 04:52 PM

Cool pistol!
This non-competitive shooter wonders about the big port in the slide and why they didn't port the barrel too?

Jpyle 06-28-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 530858)
Cool pistol!
This non-competitive shooter wonders about the big port in the slide and why they didn't port the barrel too?

The port in the slide is to reduce the weight to offset the added barrel length so that the 5.25" model weighs the same as the 4.5"

taihawk 06-28-2011 05:12 PM

This is probably a dumb question.....but.....

What is the difference between a competition gun and one for self defense? Showing my true novice colors here.....what specifically do you look for and what are the positives/negatives of one vs. the other?

ScottA 06-28-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taihawk (Post 530874)
This is probably a dumb question.....but.....

What is the difference between a competition gun and one for self defense? Showing my true novice colors here.....what specifically do you look for and what are the positives/negatives of one vs. the other?

Competition guns have longer barrels for a better aim sight radius to improve accuracy. They often have additional features which are great for accuracy and speed in competition, but not so great for carry: flared magazine wells for easier loading, adjustable sights, heavy barrels, barrel ports, add-on optics, etc.

Self defense guns tend to be trimmed down for ease of carry and quick retrieval from a standard holster.

Firearms4ever 06-28-2011 05:55 PM

The biggest positives a competition firearm is that it is built for accuracy and speed. The negatives are that they generally are too big for concealed carry or atleast would be difficult to carry, they tend to have excessive amounts of additions like optics, ported barrels, extended operations like the slide release and magazine catch. Carry firearms tend to be lightweight and compact making it easier to carry and conceal. Some of the advantages are things like slim grips, shorter barrels, and ect. Some of the negatives are things such as limited magazine capacity, less weight to manage recoil, smaller frame so it takes more to get use to the gun, and ect.

JonM 06-28-2011 10:08 PM

prolly decent for slow fire events but the lightweight will make it very difficult to control in rapid fire. but i dont compete handguns so im prolly wrong.

not impressed its another poly gun