Originally Posted by chriswolfe
Trying to find a good reliable gun to start with I'm think a 9 mm but don't no brands need some ideas
This is how I'd start your search...
1) In your mind's eye, is the gun you want
polymer or metal framed?
2) Figure out what size of frame you'd like...portability and concealability vs max capacity, ballistics, control.
3) Consider preferred controls (trigger, safeties, ambi, etc).
4) Find a pistol with the above attributes that fits your hand well.
5) If you're on any kind of budget, also buy a similarly designed 22lr.
6) Pactice, practice, practice...with both guns. And practice some more. Good shooting is about positive habits and muscle memory.
It's important to recognize that for the first 4 points, there are no wrong answers
. It's about finding a reputable gun that suits your needs and wants. 9mm is a great starting point. Other calibers can work too. What's perfect for myself or those above will quite likely not
be perfect for you. But I like CZ when it comes to steel, Sig for alloy, and Springfield XD/XDm or S&W M&P when it comes to tupperware. Plenty of other great options out there, those are just my preferences.