For new shooters. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > For new shooters.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 171 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I like shooting .38 Special out of my .357's, too, but I differ in my opinion of what I recommend to new shooters. Hand placement under bore is a matter of simple physics and a revolver doesn't do as well as a modern semi-auto with ammunition of the same power level.

Not that it matters for learning to shoot, but the .357 chambered revolvers generally weigh more and will always be larger than semi-autos that fire ammunition of the same power level, for a given barrel length.

As it relates to concealed carry handguns, any modern double stack pistol compared to a revolver of equivalent size will have near to or more than twice the capacity of the revolver and an 8 shot .357 is about as concealable as Dirty Harry's M29.

I do recommend revolvers to people who have injuries that affect dexterity because depressing the cylinder latch is easier than operating a slide. That said, if you use the proper technique all adults I've ever seen who were not disabled had little issue with operating a slide.

A pistol like a Glock or M&P doesn't have a break-in period. It either works from the box or there's something wrong with it. Quite plainly, guns that have break-in periods were not properly built for reliability. If you're only going to use it for target shooting, then anything that you fancy is fine.

Any gun you intend to use for self defense should be tested with the exact ammunition you intend to use when you carry the gun, period. Before you get to the point where you are going to attempt to use a handgun of any type for self or home defense, you should have fired many hundreds and preferably many thousands of rounds of ammunition through it.

Regarding simplicity or KISS, with a revolver you load ammunition, you latch the cylinder, you pull the trigger, and it generally fires. With a pistol like a Glock or M&P, you load ammunition, you operate the slide, you pull the trigger, and it generally fires. Neither are terribly complicated.
If someone truly is a klutz with a pistol, then a 38SP would indeed be a good choice. Otherwise I would always recommend at least a 9mm and at most a 45ACP. The 40's and 10mm's should be no problem, but the magnums are high recoil and not great for anything other than hunting or defense against bears.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
If someone truly is a klutz with a pistol, then a 38SP would indeed be a good choice. Otherwise I would always recommend at least a 9mm and at most a 45ACP. The 40's and 10mm's should be no problem, but the magnums are high recoil and not great for anything other than hunting or defense against bears.
i'll bet my wife could disprove your claim of that.