New Shooter - Looking for insight on first handgun purchase - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New Shooter - Looking for insight on first handgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

S&W Model 617 is a .22 LR 10-shot full-size revolver with 4" or 6" barrel. It will give you a lifetime of enjoyment, and the ammo is a fraction the cost of any other caliber.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If I read your OP correctly, you already have a .22 Ruger. If you don't have a .22 and you just want to have fun at the range, I recommend getting one. They are cheap to shoot, and they make holes in paper just as well as a .44 magnum (just half the size). I take my .22 with me on every range trip.

A full-size revolver is a great choice for a range gun. A heavier gun recoils less. The longer barrel gives you a greater sight radius (distance between front and rear sights) which translates to better accuracy. As has already been pointed out, you can shoot a wide variety of ammunition types with a .357 magnum revolver.

Another great thing about revolvers is that there are grips available that will help a particular gun fit different-sized hands. There's also a thing called a T-grip that can help a revolver fill your hand better.

Smith & Wesson and Ruger both make great revolvers. I personally prefer the triggers on the Smiths. Smith also makes both 7- and 8-shot models chambered in .357.

Happy searching!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

These are my two favorite range shooters:

The CZ was bought new, the BHP used. Even with 4-5 mags each, aftermarket grips for the CZ, etc...I've got less than $550 into each.

Excuse the lousy pics...I'm experimenting with the new digicam.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome from Damascus, MD.

I grew up on Long Island, so I already like you.

I am a HUGE Ruger fan. If you are attracted to revolvers Rugers IMO are the best bang for the buck (Pun Intended). Check out the Ruger GP-100. It is available in .38 Special/.357 Magnum and in .327 Federal Magnum. Its available Blued or in Stainless and is also available in varying barrel lengths. They are available from $500 - $700 new, $350 - $450 used.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #15

Hello,
I am also new here and relatively new to firearms(had a FID card years ago that I let expire, took the course and am waiting for my license to come in the mail) i am also looking at purchasing a handgun and a rifle as soon as I get my license. A couple weekends ago a bunch of my family and friends went to a range in NH where we could rent a bunch of guns an try before we bought... We had 10 of us there and we rented 4 different hand guns a 1911, couple of glocks of different caliber's and some of the guys brought thier own personal guns in for us to try out and see how we liked them. Of course we rented an Uzi, sterling SMG, MP5 and I shot an AK74U on full auto.. Man that thing is insane all I could see was a ball of fire.. Lost the target completely. I am getting side tracked SORRY! my point is that we all got to try a bunch of guns none of us had, we had a GREAT time and it cost 75 bucks each when all was said and done if you can find a range near you that also rents guns I HIGHLY recommend trying several out before ya buy one. I am still not sure what I am gonna get.. Might have to go back to NH!! lmao. In NH ya just need a drivers license to rent a gun on the gun ranges.

GOOD LUCK.

All the replys to your post have given me some insights and couple different guns I would like to try before I buy.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you don't have a good .22LR start there and develop your shooting skills first. Once you have mastered the stance, the grip, the trigger and the sights you will be ready for a larger caliber. Starting out with a larger caliber before you are ready will only result in a lot of unnecessary expense and frustration.

After you are confident of your skills either rent of find a club or friends that will take you to the range and let you fire a number of handguns both revolvers and automatics in different calibers. Pick a gun based on what you want it to do, how it fits you and by how well you can use it. Going out and quickly buying a gun just because it is right for me or someone else is not the best choice for you. Take your time and make your purchase count as you need to pick one, at least to start with, out of a choice of hundreds.