New to the Range...Looking for Suggestions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

New to the Range...Looking for Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to the Range...Looking for Suggestions

My girlfriend is an avid shooter and after a few trips to the range with her I am looking to buy my first gun. I have shot her Kimber Ultra CDP II which is nice, but a bit out of my price range and probably overkill for someone who is probably going to shoot 500 or so rounds per year.

I have also rented the Springfield Armory XD, Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and a Glock 17(?)...both of which seemed to be more than adequate for my needs. However, with so many options to choose from I am looking for suggestions to narrow down my search.

Whatever I get is going to be primarily used at the range and I would like something relatively easy to take care of...the S&W appears to fit well there. Probably looking to 9mm as well. Budget is somewhat open, but I would like to keep the cost under $650.

I realize that this can be a hotly debated topic, but appreciate any insight. For what it's worth I like the fact that the S&W is made in America.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Can't go wrong with the M&P or the Glock. If the gun isn't going to be used that often, get it used and save yourself some $$.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

I will second on buying used. But only if you know someone that knows how to inspect a gun. It is hard for a new shooter to know the condition of a used gun. If you buy from a pawn shop ask about a warranty. Even if it is only a 10 day guarantee. You need to be able to make sure it works properly.

I have bought a lot of used guns. There are people out there that will try to cheat you. It is like buying anything else used.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

Liked 2485 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 569

If you are comparing three similar guns, such as the XD, M&P, and Glock, then going with the one that fits your hand best, and that you shoot best is the one you should go with. I tend to prefer the feel of the Glock trigger to the M&P, but the grip of the M&P feels more natural.

Many Glocks are made in Smyrna, Georgia, but the company is still a foreign holding. XD is imported and marketed by an American company but made in Croatia. M&P is your only true US choice.

I've shot all three. All are good guns.
RKB Likes This 
Old 10-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #5

Liked 3241 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax22032 View Post
My girlfriend is an avid shooter and after a few trips to the range with her I am looking to buy my first gun. I have shot her Kimber Ultra CDP II which is nice, but a bit out of my price range and probably overkill for someone who is probably going to shoot 500 or so rounds per year.

I have also rented the Springfield Armory XD, Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and a Glock 17(?)...both of which seemed to be more than adequate for my needs. However, with so many options to choose from I am looking for suggestions to narrow down my search.

Whatever I get is going to be primarily used at the range and I would like something relatively easy to take care of...the S&W appears to fit well there. Probably looking to 9mm as well. Budget is somewhat open, but I would like to keep the cost under $650.

I realize that this can be a hotly debated topic, but appreciate any insight. For what it's worth I like the fact that the S&W is made in America.
For range use only? Darned near anything will work. Everything on your list will do nicely. I have a Springfield XD40SC, it's a quality piece. The M&P and the Glock are probably a bit more popular than the XD series. They are all very good choices to be fair. I myself am not a rally big fan of polymer pistols. But if they work for you, find the one you like best and enjoy.

Anything that could be classed as a service pistol (Pretty much everything you list) will be relatively easy to take care of. I would add that few would be considered difficult. Once you figure out the maintenance and upkeep of one type, much of that knowledge transfers to others. Oh, in case you're not really sure, YouTube is a nearly bottomless resource for cleaning and disassembly info for nearly anything you're liable to bring home.

I would also like to point out that since you have fired and I would assume, enjoyed the GF's Kimber, there are cheaper options for 1911 style pistols (the little lady's Kimber is a compact carry version, not really would I would recommend as a first pistol.) Check out Ruger, Springfield or Rock Island Armory for a variety of 1911 style options from mild to wild, in several size options, some of which are quite affordable.
Additionally, I would toss in the CZ 75/85 series and the Stoeger Cougar Series as possible economical options that are quite excellent and enjoyable.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 10-11-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3478 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1528

There are other things involved with purchasing a firearm.

Can you get extra magazines? With the internet it is no problem, but like the ink jet printer is cheap, the refill or new cartridges are not.

How about a holster or two should you decide to use it for carry?

What type of warranty is on the firearm? What about repairs to the firearm (if necessary)?

Ammo? You mentioned that, but stock up on the caliber you selected. Are 500 rounds enough if we go through another dry spell (and more dry spells are coming)?

And one last thing, training.
Go to a class even if you have been shooting on your own for years. Everyone develops bad habits and don't realize it. A course can help identify those bad habits and fix them.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #7

Thank for the helpful insight!

A couple of thoughts...

I tend to buy my "toys" new, but may check out the used options at an upcoming gun show just to see the difference in price. While I might opt for a holster to use at the range, I highly doubt that I would ever open or conceal carry. I have too many friends and family members in LE (from local to Federal) and know that I would want a lot more situational training before ever considering having a gun in public. Really a personal choice, but not something where I would plan on spending a lot of time.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #8

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I prefer Glock and I carry a G19. If you can live with an M&P 9, that is what I would get. You can get a M&P9 for $425. The M&P9 is a reliable companion in your nightstand or on the range.

here is a good deal on a used pistol. Buds has a lot of Glock, older S&W and M&P police trade ins at very good prices.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_910/products_id/411555599/Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P+40+3+mags+and+NS+Police+Tra des

Use www.gunwatcher.com to compare prices. I have never bought a gun from a gun show in my life. What going to a gun show will do is let you handle a lot of guns.

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-13-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Fairfax How about a CZ 75. many variants to pick from. Great pistol with very few issues ,showing up . Pick from a nice single action trigger or a DA/SA trigger in a soft shooting accurate handgun. Or if you may carry it one day and a lighter weight cz75 pcr or rami.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
If you are comparing three similar guns, such as the XD, M&P, and Glock, then going with the one that fits your hand best, and that you shoot best is the one you should go with. I tend to prefer the feel of the Glock trigger to the M&P, but the grip of the M&P feels more natural.

Many Glocks are made in Smyrna, Georgia, but the company is still a foreign holding. XD is imported and marketed by an American company but made in Croatia. M&P is your only true US choice.

I've shot all three. All are good guns.
You forgot the Rugers?
SR9 series. several to choose from. Made in USA.
CZ would be another non American choice. 9mm on the 1911 is getting popular.