New (to me) revolver failure
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New (to me) revolver failure

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cherry Valley,Arkansas
Posts: 439
Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Default New (to me) revolver failure

In several other threads I've taken the other side when members have posted that if you want the ultimate in reliability you must chose a revolver. So this is what happened Sunday. Buddy called me for help, his recently cleaned perfectly functioning Taurus 85 would not locked closed. I got out my almost identical Rossi and we compared over the phone. Turns out his centerpin had simply stuck in. He got a small tool and pushed it against the spring till it popped out. Next time he is over we will take it down and check the spring, pin and hole. Not a revolver hater and none of mine are for sale but everything can fail at anytime.

__________________

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

p35bhp55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Revolvers also tend to be more finicky when it comes to repairs. It isn't very often that you can just swap out Parts without issue. Unlike with a semi, you can swap out a spring and throw the timing out the window.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
In several other threads I've taken the other side when members have posted that if you want the ultimate in reliability you must chose a revolver. So this is what happened Sunday. Buddy called me for help, his recently cleaned perfectly functioning Taurus 85 would not locked closed. I got out my almost identical Rossi and we compared over the phone. Turns out his centerpin had simply stuck in. He got a small tool and pushed it against the spring till it popped out. Next time he is over we will take it down and check the spring, pin and hole. Not a revolver hater and none of mine are for sale but everything can fail at anytime.
Yeah we've covered that "revolvers are bullet proof" thing
As I've said many times----those that say a revolver is much more simple & have less moving parts have never tore a DA revolver apart
FWIW I've only had one problem with the many Taurus/Rossi revolvers I've owned---It was a Mdl 85---On it the cylinder would just lock up--
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,839
Liked 3274 Times on 1885 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Default

Mechanical devices will fail!
And when you least expect it.

http://murphyslaws.net/by_topic.htm#34

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is online now  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,166
Liked 3279 Times on 2256 Posts
Likes Given: 1612

Default

I am not partial to Taurus, but to be fair, the cylinder pin got stuck during cleaning. It did not jam during normal operation, so strictly this is not a reliability issue. I'd tell him to shoot more and keep an eye on it.

__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cherry Valley,Arkansas
Posts: 439
Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I am not partial to Taurus, but to be fair, the cylinder pin got stuck during cleaning. It did not jam during normal operation, so strictly this is not a reliability issue. I'd tell him to shoot more and keep an eye on it.
No, it had been recently cleaned here when he stopped by to sew his UnderTech shirt holster up. That's how I know it wasn't dirty when he started shooting. It failed after the shells were ejected and a reload, when he attempted to close it there was no lock. Guessing this could happen to any brand, but I had never encountered it.
__________________

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.


Last edited by p35bhp55; 01-21-2014 at 08:08 PM.
p35bhp55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,166
Liked 3279 Times on 2256 Posts
Likes Given: 1612

Default

Sorry, I misunderstood. With gunk and debris ruled out, it is either moving parts breaking in, or a genuinely poor fit. As much as I hate sending guns back for repairs, I'd do it if it happens again.

__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cherry Valley,Arkansas
Posts: 439
Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood. With gunk and debris ruled out, it is either moving parts breaking in, or a genuinely poor fit. As much as I hate sending guns back for repairs, I'd do it if it happens again.
We will take it apart and look at everything, it's a well used gun he has had it for 6 or 7 years. But I've not had the cylinder rod out and if it comes out I'll be the one to do it. Bubba is a tad rough on stuff with tools.
__________________

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

p35bhp55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tlech29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 47
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I had a rossi .357 and when you would shoot it sometimes the trigger would stay pushed all the way in. I prob only put 75 rounds through it and it started happening more often. Needless to say I got rid of it and wont be going back to Rossi

__________________
tlech29 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tlech29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 47
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlech29 View Post
I had a rossi .357 and when you would shoot it sometimes the trigger would stay pushed all the way in. I prob only put 75 rounds through it and it started happening more often. Needless to say I got rid of it and wont be going back to Rossi
The trigger would stay locked up to clarify
__________________
tlech29 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Obamacare is a failure. texaswoodworker Politics, Religion and Controversy 9 11-01-2013 05:23 PM
GSG-5 failure to feed gatorwerks Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 1 05-04-2012 12:48 AM
GSG-5 Failure to feed gatorwerks .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 0 05-03-2012 07:37 PM
M-4 failure Dzscubie AR-15 Discussion 31 08-17-2011 04:07 PM
XD failure NGIB XD Forum 9 12-21-2009 09:47 PM