Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New (to me) revolver failure (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-me-revolver-failure-103076/)

p35bhp55 01-21-2014 01:29 PM

New (to me) revolver failure

In several other threads I've taken the other side when members have posted that if you want the ultimate in reliability you must chose a revolver. So this is what happened Sunday. Buddy called me for help, his recently cleaned perfectly functioning Taurus 85 would not locked closed. I got out my almost identical Rossi and we compared over the phone. Turns out his centerpin had simply stuck in. He got a small tool and pushed it against the spring till it popped out. Next time he is over we will take it down and check the spring, pin and hole. Not a revolver hater and none of mine are for sale but everything can fail at anytime.

mountainman13 01-21-2014 01:35 PM

Revolvers also tend to be more finicky when it comes to repairs. It isn't very often that you can just swap out Parts without issue. Unlike with a semi, you can swap out a spring and throw the timing out the window.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

HOSSFLY 01-21-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p35bhp55 (Post 1488026)
In several other threads I've taken the other side when members have posted that if you want the ultimate in reliability you must chose a revolver. So this is what happened Sunday. Buddy called me for help, his recently cleaned perfectly functioning Taurus 85 would not locked closed. I got out my almost identical Rossi and we compared over the phone. Turns out his centerpin had simply stuck in. He got a small tool and pushed it against the spring till it popped out. Next time he is over we will take it down and check the spring, pin and hole. Not a revolver hater and none of mine are for sale but everything can fail at anytime.

Yeah we've covered that "revolvers are bullet proof" thing :o
As I've said many times----those that say a revolver is much more simple & have less moving parts have never tore a DA revolver apart ;)
FWIW I've only had one problem with the many Taurus/Rossi revolvers I've owned---It was a Mdl 85---On it the cylinder would just lock up--

danf_fl 01-21-2014 02:18 PM

Mechanical devices will fail!
And when you least expect it.

http://murphyslaws.net/by_topic.htm#34

Mercator 01-21-2014 03:12 PM

I am not partial to Taurus, but to be fair, the cylinder pin got stuck during cleaning. It did not jam during normal operation, so strictly this is not a reliability issue. I'd tell him to shoot more and keep an eye on it.

p35bhp55 01-21-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1488094)
I am not partial to Taurus, but to be fair, the cylinder pin got stuck during cleaning. It did not jam during normal operation, so strictly this is not a reliability issue. I'd tell him to shoot more and keep an eye on it.

No, it had been recently cleaned here when he stopped by to sew his UnderTech shirt holster up. That's how I know it wasn't dirty when he started shooting. It failed after the shells were ejected and a reload, when he attempted to close it there was no lock. Guessing this could happen to any brand, but I had never encountered it.

Mercator 01-21-2014 07:49 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood. With gunk and debris ruled out, it is either moving parts breaking in, or a genuinely poor fit. As much as I hate sending guns back for repairs, I'd do it if it happens again.

p35bhp55 01-21-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1488247)
Sorry, I misunderstood. With gunk and debris ruled out, it is either moving parts breaking in, or a genuinely poor fit. As much as I hate sending guns back for repairs, I'd do it if it happens again.

We will take it apart and look at everything, it's a well used gun he has had it for 6 or 7 years. But I've not had the cylinder rod out and if it comes out I'll be the one to do it. Bubba is a tad rough on stuff with tools.

tlech29 01-21-2014 10:25 PM

I had a rossi .357 and when you would shoot it sometimes the trigger would stay pushed all the way in. I prob only put 75 rounds through it and it started happening more often. Needless to say I got rid of it and wont be going back to Rossi

tlech29 01-21-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlech29 (Post 1488316)
I had a rossi .357 and when you would shoot it sometimes the trigger would stay pushed all the way in. I prob only put 75 rounds through it and it started happening more often. Needless to say I got rid of it and wont be going back to Rossi

The trigger would stay locked up to clarify