New for me Bersa Mini Firestorm 45 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New for me Bersa Mini Firestorm 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I've owned Bersa guns since the 1970's and liked them all. As well as a .380 I have both the UC-45 and UC-9 and they are my two favorites. BTW, for those who don't know, the larger caliber Bersa pistols (9mm, .40 & .45) are entirely different designs compared to the Bersa 380 auto. The smaller gun is essentially an Argentine PPK.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, try adjusting your grip a bit before you make any changes to the gun.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #12

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Of course, I adjusted my grip as I went, but thanks for that obvious suggestion, but it's not comfortable. As you naturally grab the weapon, you want the webbing of your thumb to index finger to fit snugly under the beaver tail. It's just the natural grip, and you want that.

The factors that make the bite may not have to do with where I'm gripping, it may have to do with the combination of the angle of the gun at the peak of recoil, plus how loosley I may be holding it, allowing the hammer to grab the webbing and pulling it into that sharp edge. Since this is a .45, the recoil is increased over the others here who have the 9mm version and have had no issues with bite.

I would much rather slightly alter the weapon to minimize the bite than to change my natural grip, as I don't have any problems with my other weapons. Since this will be my primary carry weapon, it needs to be as natural as possible without worrying about gripping it differently to avoid this.

12FRETTER

Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What about putting some double-sided tape under there, between the edge you get bitten on and the rest of the grip? It might keep your hand from sliding up and be less obvious.

Honestly, I'm wanting the .45acp version too, now.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Wow! That looks just like the Bersa Thunder9 UCP I have; I LOVE this lil pistol. I do wish there were some wood grips or heavy duty rubber-coated grips available for mine.

I have not experienced the bite you described. Your solution seems reasonable, but I wonder if a different hammer might be an alternative? I would be more hesitant to change the frame of the pistol than to change the hammer.
As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I have both the 9mm and .45ACP versions of the Bersa UC and while they look alike, the parts are not interchangeable. The UC-9 has a slightly smaller, narrower frame and slide and almost all the other parts are proportionally different as well. I personally find the 9mm UC easier and more comfortable to to shoot than the .45 (not just due to the smaller bullet) having shorter fingers because of the difference. I have to alter my grip when using the larger pistol and it does make a difference in how I shoot.

FWIW, I got the UC-45 before I bought my UC-9 in 2005 and it's a very easy shooting .45. I also currently own other .45 caliber pistols (a 1911 and Taurus PT 945) and the felt recoil with the UC is much less than with the other guns.