New and i need help with firearms purchasing.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New and i need help with firearms purchasing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New and i need help with firearms purchasing.

I plan on buying several firearms when i turn 21 to take to the range and for home protection.

Currently a few firearms i would like to purchase are:

(i am on a big budget since i am a college student)

I am looking at a few handguns but havent narrowed it down. I am looking to spend no more than 550 dollars if possible on a 4inch or 4.5 inch barrel.

A Stag Arms model 2

A .22 rifle if i can find an outdoor range by me

And a home defense shotgun...probably mossy because i have read some good things about them and they would be the best price for me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ruger 10/22's, Marlin Model 60's, Remington 597's and several other .22 rifles can be had from around $150. to $250.

You didn't say if you're interested in revolvers or semiautos, so there's some differences there. $550. is a decent amount, but be flexible.

If you go for a revolver, my suggestion is a .357 Magnum, because you can also shoot cheaper.38 Specials in it for practice. $550. is about right for a Smith & Wesson or a Ruger. Both are most excellent.

For a semiauto, my suggestion is to not go smaller than a 9mm. Semi's aren't cheap and at $550. your choices will be somewhat limited. However, with judicious research and by shopping around, you will find some excellent pistols at or around that price.

If you have someone you know with the knowledge, then used firearms can be a great way to save some cash. Don't forget that you have to feed these things and you have to clean & maintain them.

The internet is your friend, do lots of research. Then if you can find a range that rents guns, rent several and get an idea of what you really like. If you have friends that shoot, see if you can try theirs.

First thing to do is take a firearms safety class, then you can start out safe.

Good luck and keep us informed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Ruger 10/22's, Marlin Model 60's, Remington 597's and several other .22 rifles can be had from around $150. to $250.

You didn't say if you're interested in revolvers or semiautos, so there's some differences there. $550. is a decent amount, but be flexible.

If you go for a revolver, my suggestion is a .357 Magnum, because you can also shoot cheaper.38 Specials in it for practice. $550. is about right for a Smith & Wesson or a Ruger. Both are most excellent.

For a semiauto, my suggestion is to not go smaller than a 9mm. Semi's aren't cheap and at $550. your choices will be somewhat limited. However, with judicious research and by shopping around, you will find some excellent pistols at or around that price.

If you have someone you know with the knowledge, then used firearms can be a great way to save some cash. Don't forget that you have to feed these things and you have to clean & maintain them.

The internet is your friend, do lots of research. Then if you can find a range that rents guns, rent several and get an idea of what you really like. If you have friends that shoot, see if you can try theirs.

First thing to do is take a firearms safety class, then you can start out safe.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Ok thanks. I was looking at some Rugers and S&W and for a .22 i was looking at the the remington you pointed out.

ANd of course i will take a safety class and i am very careful with my things.

Any feedback on the Stag model 2?

Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I can't help you on that one. Sorry.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I can't help you on that one. Sorry.
No need to apologize. I should ask that i nthe rifle section but i dont want a mod getting upset because i asked the same thing in 2 different posts

Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsal View Post
I plan on buying several firearms when i turn 21 to take to the range and for home protection.

Currently a few firearms i would like to purchase are:

(i am on a big budget since i am a college student)

I am looking at a few handguns but havent narrowed it down. I am looking to spend no more than 550 dollars if possible on a 4inch or 4.5 inch barrel.Springfield XD.....nuff said

A Stag Arms model 2

A .22 rifle if i can find an outdoor range by me Remington 597's are great, I have one. Ruger 10/22's are good too! For a cheap shooter, get a mossberg plinkster.

And a home defense shotgun...probably mossy because i have read some good things about them and they would be the best price for me.the 500 pump is an excellent choice. I have one with a 28in and 18.5 barrel for home.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Forgot to mention. Look into CZ firearms. They are awesome and the best steel framed 9mm's out there for the $$ in my opinion.

Check out mine.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/cz-range-report-18985/

Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I"ll echo goju on the XD if you're looking for a semi auto. I also believe everyone should have a good wheel gun and like CA, I think a good 4" 357 would give you years and years of quality service. Take a look at a GP100, they're built like tanks.

For a 22, the ones goju mentioned are solid but dont overlook Marlins 795. It's a cheap, no frills rifle but it shoots and shoots well. I have one that is very accurate. They can be had for $120ish new.

You'll have a hard time beating a Mossberg 500 for an inexpensive shotgun. Parts are available everywhere and they are very reliable.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

As far as handguns go, find a range near you that rents them and give any you're interested in a tryout. There is no "one size fits all" so any recommendations we provide are based on our own likes and dislikes.

I will recommend a 9mm though as the ammo is reasonably priced, there are tons of different loads available in defensive ammo, and it's a good caliber for learning to shoot well...

Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
As far as handguns go, find a range near you that rents them and give any you're interested in a tryout. There is no "one size fits all" so any recommendations we provide are based on our own likes and dislikes.

I will recommend a 9mm though as the ammo is reasonably priced, there are tons of different loads available in defensive ammo, and it's a good caliber for learning to shoot well...
XD's are awesome like said, i have shot them and other carbon pistols and IMO i liked them the best, however picking out a gun i must say that NGIB here has given out some solid advice, he knows what he is talking about, take it from a newb who just went through the same thing, i wish i would have applied advice like this before jumping into the first thing the gun shop recomended, then i would not have been out a couple of hundred dollars trying to sell that pistol and upgrade to something else