Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New holster on a blued gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New holster on a blued gun

I have some holsters coming to me in the coming weeks and thought I saw some info on this site or another that talked about how to prep a new holster so that it won't wear the finish on a blued gun; in this case they are Taurus revolvers. I have already read about using gun wax to preserve the gun's finish, but wondered if someone could help me out with the holster. Do you spray it down inside with gun oil, does that take off the gun wax , etc? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 AM   #2

Don't use oil on the holster. It'll soften it too much and cause it to loose it's 'shape'.

My rule is if I want to protect the blue, use a case.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Even a lined holster will ware on a gun, just takes a little longer. I'm not aware of any holster materiel that won't. Now, some guns have a harder finish. Like H&Ks and,to a lesser extent, glock. Besides, who wants to look like a rookie?

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Last edited by HKSlinger; 11-30-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #4

Liked 666 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 672

The quality of leather and proper fit really make a difference. Years ago I bought a used Model 19-4. The shop had a few boxes of holsters, big boxes of everything and anything. I asked if they would toss in a holster. No problem if I could find one for the 19. I found a really nice Bianchi that was stamped S&W 19. You should have seen the shop owners face. It is amazing! Not any wear on that pistol at all, after 15 years of use. I paid 175.00 for the pistol, the holster was marked $35.00. The best $35.00 I never spent! Every holster will wear bluing/finish, but some less than others.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.