new here thinkin about a Taurus...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > new here thinkin about a Taurus...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new here thinkin about a Taurus...

hi guys i'm new to the site but feel these are the best places to get legit info no handguns i wish to buy. I have a Ruger p89 right now. I'm thinkin about buying a Taurus millennium pro pt140 .40 (can get for $369 new) or a taurus 24/7 .40(not sure on price). I want to get these b/c i'm tried of a full bodied pistol that is so heavy. why do so millennium's say millennium pro on the side and some just say millennium on the side with pro on the other side. or pro isn't even on it. and some say it is a compact and some say it is a sub-compact?
I've heard many mixed things about the 24/7 and the price is a bit more but i found one price online for $380... does that seem too low? also what would be a good price on my ruger. most gun shops say $200 one said around $250 but he also had higher priced taurus's i would have to purchase in the trade.
sorry if the questions are random i'm just very curious and want to know as much about something before i buy it so i don't regret the purchase. i know there are multiple generations of each taurus i've listed. and i've heard the early gens are not very good. how do i know which one i'm looking at in the store b/c they are all new guns but maybe older models.
thanks,
alan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Taurus PT745c Millennium Pro which is the earlier single stack version of the PT145. I got it used for 200$ and it's been 100% reliable. It's 1 of my truck guns and shoots very well IF you can get by the long HEAVY DAO trigger pull. I've never taken the time to bother trying to improve it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 07-26-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #3

Taurus makes good guns for the most part. Their guarantee is simply awesome.

Their customer service can be spotty...but overall I am very pleased with my Taurus'...and I own several.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #4

I like my 85 Ultra-Lite but did not like the millennium's trigger pull

Old 07-27-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Can't help you on the Taurus, I've never owned one. But welcome here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have my PT 24/7 LS in .40S&W as my bed side weapon. I love the DA trigger pull along with the ability to decock it. It also has a second chance strike in case of a failure to fire. (this function I have never had to use with several thousand rounds through it). This is one "economy" hand gun that I can definitely recommend.

Article II: A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State, The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed.

Article IV: The Right Of The People To Be Secure In There Persons, Houses, Papers, And Effects, Against Unreasonable Search And Seizures, Shall Not Be Violated, And No Warants Shall Issue, But Upon Probable Cause, Supported By Oath Or Affirmation, And Particulary Describing The Place To Be Searched, And The Persons Or Things To Be Seized.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I shoot Taurus guns often, a friend owns a few and we go to the range together on weekends. They all function well, have decent fit & finish and are accurate enough for combat guns (and especially for my limited skill).

Out of the models I've tried, I liked the Millenium Pro the least because of the trigger pull. It was hard for me to adjust to it and I didn't enjoy it. It hit where I pointed and had no issues at all, but I liked the 24/7 better.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum from Texas. Glad to have you. Wish i could help with the Taaurus, but I have never owned one.

If you can't make them see the light, make the feel the heat: Ronald Reagan

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is a Taurus forum, where you can get overloaded with the information you seek. Taurus Armed.net - Index

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #10

thanks for the info and welcomes guys. i've been doing alot of reading. i get a lot of mixed feelings about the mil. pros mostly bad about the early gen ones. and good about the later gen ones. i am looking very hard at the 24/7's also but they are a lil more expensive and almost the same weight as my p89 i'm getting rid of so i'm still up in the air about that one. i haven't had the chance to hold them together in a store so my question:

is the 24/7 .40cal significantly lighter and more compact than the p89? it is considered Taurus's compact line right, while the pt140's are the sub compact correct? and their prices are somewhat close.. are there good or bad generations of the 24/7's too.
thanks,
alan