You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

new handgun owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default new handgun owner

Not sure how this is going to work. so my dad and my brother are both hand gun owners. they both live in ohio I live in south carolina. I've never owned a handgun before I know I have to register it and take a training course. Both of them just recently got there c c w's. My brother wants to buy me a gun for a birthday present. That's where the question lies. Can he buy in ohio and sell it to me, or gift it to me? I guess he gets a discount through his vendor, but it has to be sold to him I can't buy it and have it shipped to me. Please any clarification will help thanks.
ghostwarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9225 Times on 5066 Posts
Likes Given: 74


It's across state lines, so I'm real fuzzy on this, but I THINK that if he comes to you while it's legally in his possession, and gifts it to you while he's there, you may be not breaking any laws.

If you don't hear any more information, I suggest you contact c3shooter, he's really knowledgeable in this kind of thing.
trip286 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
danf_fl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 12,356
Liked 4849 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 2368


Ownership could be transferred through an FFL.
The following is from the BATF site:
"When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping."

Dad or brother could purchase on line (in your name) and have the firearm sent to an FFL and you fill out the paperwork.

Or they could give you a gift certificate.
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
danf_fl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
c3shooter's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 21,225
Liked 16327 Times on 6735 Posts
Likes Given: 2659


As the guys have said- when ownership of a handgun is being transferred across a state line, except when inherited, the gun must be shipped to an FFL in the recipient's state of residence.

Can you go up there and pick up the gun from your brother? No.

Registration? None in SC. Matter of facts, none in MOST states. Common misconception. When you get a gun from a dealer, you complete a form 4473, WHICH THE DEALER KEEPS. At his shop.
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2

Thanks for all the info...very helpful...sounds like the FFL is the "right" way to go.
Have shot all kinds of rifles, never owned or shot a handgun. Honestly my first one I am looking at is the Ruger Sr1911... may get a 38 down the road.
ghostwarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
First time Handgun owner/Walther P22 SeraphimHD General Handgun Discussion 16 11-29-2011 02:35 AM
New ar owner ?'s Sloth88 AR-15 Discussion 3 09-08-2011 07:19 PM
New ar owner ?'s Sloth88 AR-15 Discussion 11 09-07-2011 06:17 PM
Some new handgun owner questions... merlin2600 Semi-Auto Handguns 2 01-26-2009 01:26 PM