New to guns & .40 S&W - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

New to guns & .40 S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I bought my first handgun in .40 last year and it has been great. Hard to find ammo though.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #12

Counter point:

I went into a local gun shop to ask a few questions on the "9mm vs. .40" debate. And they completey refused to answer my questions. "It's a matter of preferrence" is all I kept hearing. Even though I asked questions such as:

Which is more powerful?
Which is more accurate?
Which would YOU carry?

The only info I could pry out of them was that 9mm was slightly cheaper ammo wise.

Right now the only reason I would buy a .40 is that ammo is plentiful where 9mm is super scarce. Also .40 tends to be cheaper than 9mm in the same gun (XD and M&P both are about $50 cheaper in .40 than the 9mm counterpart)

Old 11-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Sound to me like they were being honest. No caliber of weapon is "for everyone". This is due to numerous physiological difference in humans that would contribute to their liking and comfort of a certain weapon and the overall "feel" they get. The feeling someone has for a firearm is also influenced by their experience level and overall comfort with guns. So there may be no answer.

As far as the cost and availability of ammo, This is also partially geographical apparently, because I was a looking today and all I saw was 9mm. . . no .40

Old 11-25-2009, 02:37 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Robo expressed it well.
I own a few .40 S&W and enjoy them. My girlfriend has a .40 and it fits her. The snappy thing goes to the experience of the person holding the firearm and there shooting expereince. I expect a .25 is snappy if you have never fired a pistol before.

Drive before you buy...if not expect to sell it at a loss when you discover it's more than you can handle.

It is that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Counter point:

I went into a local gun shop to ask a few questions on the "9mm vs. .40" debate. And they completey refused to answer my questions. "It's a matter of preferrence" is all I kept hearing. Even though I asked questions such as:

Which is more powerful?
Which is more accurate?
Which would YOU carry?

The only info I could pry out of them was that 9mm was slightly cheaper ammo wise.

Right now the only reason I would buy a .40 is that ammo is plentiful where 9mm is super scarce. Also .40 tends to be cheaper than 9mm in the same gun (XD and M&P both are about $50 cheaper in .40 than the 9mm counterpart)
It is refreshing to hear there are still honest sales people out there. Too many dishonest, disingenuine opinions out there. The right gun depends on MANY factors. I have handguns ranging from .22 to .44 mag and nearly everything else in between. Each has a niche to fill. I have gotten some good deals at gun shops on low mileage high powered guns that the previous owner HAD to have only to find out it kicks way too much for them. $299 for a 4" S&W 629 with 6 rounds fired through it. Macho man HAD TO HAVE A .44! Traded it back the next day. Lost about 50% of the cost for the life lesson.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I am a gun salesman, While I personally prefer .40 over a 9mm, I never try to force anything on anybody. I listen to what the customer is looking for and if they don't know what caliber they want, I will usually show them everything from a .32 to a .45 and then let them make their own decision. A happy customer usually turns out to be a repeat customer.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #17

I own a Kahr CW40. It is very light & snappy, it's not a gun you'll shoot at the range all day long. What I recommend usually depends on what info the person gives on what they want. I will usually state that a heavier gun has less recoil than a lighter gun allowing you to follow up with accurate shot placement. What I have noticed is that people may ask for opinions, but they usually buy what they have already decided on before receiving outside opinions.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #18

Picked up a g22 fired a few hundred rds through it on one range session. It seemed to sting my trigger finger a little. I have had no issues at all with the g-21(.45) or g-17(9mm). So, i got a 9mm conversion barrel for it. The only reason i picked up the g-22 in the first place is because the cops in my area litter the range with tons of .40 nickel brass(so, i reload it)...and 9mm is half the price as .40. If you're punching holes in paper, then theres no debate.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #19

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own a 9mm sig p6 ,reliabilty is awesome its my travel gun, I also own rock Island 1911 45 ,taurus 357 magnum ,smith and wesson 38 special snubbie and a 1858 cap and ball remington reproduction pistol by Uberti. my cap and ball pistol is my favorite to shoot so I guess its just a matter of preference. I always suggest to people that before they buy a gun they should go online and read articles and reviews about whatever gun they are interested in buying. I think research is key when it comes to buying a fire arm. When it comes to women buying guns I think women are a little more finiky when it comes to purchasing a fire arm. For example most guys already have a good Idea of what they want before they go to a gunstore but most women are clueless unless they were brought up around guns. I purchased a 38 snubbie for my wife thinking she would like it but her favorite gun at the range is my 1911 so you just never know.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My favorite handgun in my little brace is my CZ-75 9mm. It makes me look like a much better shooter than I really am. I would like to get a compact one. My little Bersa acts as my CCW gun when I carry. I keep a 4" .357 ruger in my vehicle all the time. I would like to carry my CZ but isn't as practical as a small frame pistol. From time to time I switch it with my revolvers. I've yet to find the perfect CCW gun. I think it would be the compact CZ.