Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New to guns & .40 S&W (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-guns-40-s-w-20383/)

NGIB 11-24-2009 08:55 AM

New to guns & .40 S&W

Saw something on my local forum that prompted this post. A fella that was a noob 8 months ago went through the whole "what do I buy" routine and was given lots of solid advice. He was looking for a compact carry gun and was leaning towards a small poly .40 - which I find very common. The advice I and many others gave him is that the .40 is a very "snappy" round in small light guns and a 9mm is generally a better choice for most folks.

He bought a Walther PPS in .40 and sung it's praises for months. The gun is now listed on the for sale section of the forum - and the trade interests are all 9mm guns. I have nothing against the .40 S&W, in fact I have a couple of them - in full-size guns (XD Tactical & Para P-16). I've also owned a .40 and a 9mm in the exact same compact platform more than once:

Kahr PM-9 & PM-40
XD-SC 9 & XD-SC 40
Sig P239 9mm & .40

I have a lot of trigger time with these and I find the 9mm versions much easier to shoot well and much easier to make accurate follow up shots with. The Kahr PM-40 was particularly not fun to shoot at all - especially with hot loaded SD ammo. Ballistically I don't think the .40 offers a significant advantage over the 9mm when you factor in the necessity to place rapid shots accurately from a small, light gun.

So I guess my question is, do gun stores "push" the .40 on newcomers to move them out? I really hope this doesn't turn into a caliber war as that is not my intention. My reasoning for this post is I see lots of folks buy .40s only to sell or trade them with a few months - generally at a loss...

jbshoots 11-24-2009 11:21 AM

before i got my first handguns, which was last year (have shot handguns and had other guns, i'm just a fairly new handgun owner), i thought i wanted my first one to be a .40.

my reasoning was that it would be a little more punch than a 9mm but less expensive to shoot and less kick than a .45. i now own a .357 mag and have fired some nice .45s (a 1911 and an xd) i realize that "kick" isn't really a factor in handguns for me so i prefer the .45s i've shot over the .40 that i tried once.

but that was my reasoning for wanting the .40 before i really knew anything about handguns.

at the same time, there might be some gun stores pushing the .40s. i do see that ammo on the shelves a lot even when all the other calibers are sold out.

Yunus 11-24-2009 11:27 AM

First gun I purchased was a .40 which was the recommended round, people including gun dealers said .45 is more powerful, 9mm is easier to shoot and .40 is the happy medium. Also ammo prices for the .40 were the same as the 9mm at the time and the .45 was more expensive. So I got a Glock model 22.

Flint Rock 11-24-2009 11:38 AM

I can't count the number of gun "salesmen" that I have heard talking people into a 40 over the 9mm. They tell them the 45 "kicks" to much and gun doesn't hold enough rounds:confused:. Then I've heard them say the 9mm is "weak and underpowered":mad:. The 40 came down from the mountain though:eek:! The sales line seems to be that ALL police departments are using the 40,,,,,,, it must be best. About now you hear a customer say, "I'll take it."
Wouldn't it be nice if salesmen helped you make up YOUR mind, rather than talk you into what THEY liked?

NGIB 11-24-2009 11:45 AM

Again, I have nothing against the .40 but I sure see a lot of them for sale - many from 1st time gun buyers. I will agree that during the ammo crunch .40 was always available - and probably always will be as it is popular with law enforcement...

Jess 11-24-2009 12:05 PM

I went to the gunshop 2 weeks ago. I was in a mood that I was ready to buy THAT day. And they guy tried to talk me out of every thing I picked up. He had it in his head that my breasts somehow made it necessary for me to ONLY purchase a poly frame 9mm...since I was replacing my .380 a .40 would be *exactly the same*

All I wanted from douchetastic gun sale boy was OBJECTIVE information. He chose to lose a sale and any further business.

Viking 11-24-2009 04:20 PM

The gun dealer that I bought my 40's from told me that the compacts in that caliber were "snappy", now I wish I hadn't listened to him because I had a Kahr PM40 in my hand that felt good and I would have been happy to use as a ccw. I may still get one if I can do some horse trading with my Bersa mod.83 .380 and some cash. As far as the PM40 being brutal to shoot, my 44 Bulldog is probably worse but I learned to handle it just like taking on the first 44 mag I owned. Before anyone starts thinking that I'm just being "Macho" I'll tell you I understood that if I learned how to handle recoil and could consistantly be on target the kill factor would be in my favor. That's how I've been able to put a lot of venison in our freezer over the years and now with a ccw license if the need came up the odds are very good for me to put an end to the BG.

Gojubrian 11-24-2009 07:09 PM

I'm sure I'll have another .40 in the future, not too snappy for me. :)

robocop10mm 11-24-2009 08:49 PM

It is sad that people either do not have access to or choose not to take advantage of test drives before purchase. If you are a noob and allow yourself to get talked into "caliber X" handgun, I am sorry.

If you have never fired a handgun and now want a HD/CCW handgun, you are a fool. If you want an entry level handgun, get a 3-4" D/A 6-7 shot .38/.357 revolver. Not a 2" , 5 shot snubbie. Not an 6" barrelled 88 magnum (even if it does shoot through schools).

Would you go out and buy a new vehicle w/o test driving it to see if it fits your need? "Oh, no sir. The Peterbuilt is a MUCH better vehicle. Plent of power, safe in a collision, etc. It seats 8 with the optional sleeper."

If you end up owning a Vespa scooter or a Peterbuilt truck tractor based on what the salesman told you, you deserve what you get.

NGIB 11-24-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 190271)
It is sad that people either do not have access to or choose not to take advantage of test drives before purchase. If you are a noob and allow yourself to get talked into "caliber X" handgun, I am sorry.

If you have never fired a handgun and now want a HD/CCW handgun, you are a fool. If you want an entry level handgun, get a 3-4" D/A 6-7 shot .38/.357 revolver. Not a 2" , 5 shot snubbie. Not an 6" barrelled 88 magnum (even if it does shoot through schools).

Would you go out and buy a new vehicle w/o test driving it to see if it fits your need? "Oh, no sir. The Peterbuilt is a MUCH better vehicle. Plent of power, safe in a collision, etc. It seats 8 with the optional sleeper."

If you end up owning a Vespa scooter or a Peterbuilt truck tractor based on what the salesman told you, you deserve what you get.

The truth is spoken. I really hate to see folks losing their azz ditching guns they should not have purchased in the first place...