New to the gun world, need help
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New to the gun world, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to the gun world, need help

Hi all.

First timer here. Until Tuesday night I had never shot a gun before. Due to some circumstances I felt it neccessary to borrow a gun. I was taken to a shooting range and tried 3 different guns, a 9mm, a Stoeger Cougar .40 and a .45 (not sure of the manufacturer).

I was offered to purchase the .45 for $400, supposedly $100 off the new price, and this was only the second time it was fired. It has a life time warranty and 2 clips. It would however be a "back room" deal, so no paperwork would be involved.

I have some gun ads delievered to my house sometimes. In looking at one of the ads, there is a Hi-Point S+W (assuming Smith + Wesson) .40 for $140.

Does anyone have experience with Hi-Point? Why would I pay $400 when I can get an adequate gun for $140?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

The S+W in relation to this gun (Hi-Point) is referring to the gun's caliber. The .40 cal was designed by Smith+Wesson(S+W.40) not the Hi-Point gun. Hi-Point guns are not adequate guns-IMO. Also not sure what you mean by "back room deal"? Private sales are ok not needing paperwork.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

Liked 2103 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

I had a high point 45. It was reliable. But it was ugly as sin! And it was like carrying a brick around. If you have the money, I would buy something better. Smith and Wesson is good brand. But you will not find a good one for much less than $400. Well unless you know somebody with a used one that wants to make a deal. I have a Sigma, Smith and Wesson in .40 It is an Auto. I like it. Some don't like the trigger. It is a matter of preference. Mine was just under $400. I don't know enough about the couger to make a recomendation. Have you thought about a revolver?
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #4

Back room deal as in my brother would sell me his .45, so there would be no paperwork to deal with. My wife however wants it all to be above the table and legal.

I've not considered a revolver as it's only been 4 days since we've decided we need a gun in the house. I do however like the automatic. Just seems very easy to fire. But, may consider a revolver.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

Welcome TJ4,

Please tell us what has prompted you to decide to purchase a gun? What are you really concerned about? If it's self defense inside you home in the middle of the night that will bring about a lot of other recommendations as to best type of gun. If it's to carry with you in your car, to work, on your person etc. that will bring about a lot of different types of discussions regarding brand, size, caliber etc.

Is your wife to also use this gun?

Without knowing anything else about your situation, I would say a full size revolver, 4" barrel in a small safe (opened by push buttons, or fingerprint scanner). I'd also say get a Taurus where you'll find quality and affordability. I'd stay away from the ultra lights as a newbie might find them painful to practice with and be frustrated with accuracy. And you and your wife are gonna need to practice.

Reasons for revolver include, reliability (less likely to function incorrectly), ease of use for you and your wife (retrieve gun, aim, pull trigger).

Depending on your state, you can sell legally a gun from person to person with no paper trail. You might want a dated receipt if you expect this guns fired bullets to be in the possession of the government for any reason other than a test fire.....you can always run a serial number check with your local PD to ensure it's not stolen.

This would be a sweet revolver to live in your night stand.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=66SS4

or if your wife felt that to big....

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=617SS2

Last edited by harleysilo; 03-18-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

As to why I am looking for a gun. I have a 20 year old son who has been a handful due to unruliness, he's been in and out of treatment facilities for his behavior and drug/alcohol isses. i've been trying to do the tough love thing. I recently let him move bag in with us, it didn't work out.

I received a phone call Monday morning at 2 am, someone looking for my son, the kid was getting beligerant said that my son was doing meth and screwed them for $2,000. I was giving them crap back. He told me that if I didn't give them contact info for my son, they were coming to shoot me. The call ended, they called back. This time my wife answered the phone, same story as they told me. Only difference is they told her that they would come shoot me, then shoot her.

I have a stepson in the house that is 9, my wife is 26 weeks pregnant. So there is a need to have a gun in the house.

My wife will be using the gun as well, she's scared to death. I just want to make sure that the gun will be sufficient to stop anyone trying to do harm to my family.

I am comfortable with any of the guns I listed initially. I think we will be going to the shooting range with my brother this weekend so she can shoot and see if she is comfortable with one as well.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know what state/locale you're in but it may be illegal to do a FTF (face to face) transfer with no paperwork or it may be legal-you'll have to look it up. If you're caught with an illegal gun you're in trouble of course.

I too would suggest a revolver. Look for a used Ruger or S&W as Taurus has been putting out spotty quality-most are good but some aren't. With a revolver it's a lot simpler to operate. Also does your wife have the hand strength to rack the slide to load/unload a semiauto? As far as caliber in a revolver I'd recommend no smaller than a .38 special. Load with +p for defense and practice with standard pressure loads. The .357 is a great caliber and you can practice with .38s in it and load .357s for "social" encounters.

If you do decide to get the semiauto I'd stay away from the Hi-Point IMO. They might be cheaper but can you put a price tag on the safety of your lives? That's exactly what you'll be doing with a cheap gun.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #8

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4ndirish View Post
As to why I am looking for a gun. I have a 20 year old son who has been a handful due to unruliness, he's been in and out of treatment facilities for his behavior and drug/alcohol isses. i've been trying to do the tough love thing. I recently let him move bag in with us, it didn't work out.

I received a phone call Monday morning at 2 am, someone looking for my son, the kid was getting beligerant said that my son was doing meth and screwed them for $2,000. I was giving them crap back. He told me that if I didn't give them contact info for my son, they were coming to shoot me. The call ended, they called back. This time my wife answered the phone, same story as they told me. Only difference is they told her that they would come shoot me, then shoot her.

I have a stepson in the house that is 9, my wife is 26 weeks pregnant. So there is a need to have a gun in the house.

My wife will be using the gun as well, she's scared to death. I just want to make sure that the gun will be sufficient to stop anyone trying to do harm to my family.

I am comfortable with any of the guns I listed initially. I think we will be going to the shooting range with my brother this weekend so she can shoot and see if she is comfortable with one as well.

Sorry for the long post.
First off I would get the police involved. The phone company can give them trace info and calling number of the received threatening calls so they can:

1) pay them a visit to find out their true intentions
2) establish a record with the authorities about the threats

I would assume that you trust your brother not to screw you on the deal so I would go along with his recommendations BUT make sure you get some training with the gun and MOST IMPORTANT!!! educate yourself about the local laws on gun ownership and use of deadly force. If not you could be buying a one way ticket to jail.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
First off I would get the police involved. The phone company can give them trace info and calling number of the received threatening calls so they can:

1) pay them a visit to find out their true intentions
2) establish a record with the authorities about the threats

I would assume that you trust your brother not to screw you on the deal so I would go along with his recommendations BUT make sure you get some training with the gun and MOST IMPORTANT!!! educate yourself about the local laws on gun ownership and use of deadly force. If not you could be buying a one way ticket to jail.
+100!!!

I would avoid a hi-point firearm personally, especially for home defense.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #10

If you get a revolver, be aware that the trigger pull is very heavy on these guns. Some women don't have sufficient hand strength to fire them competently.

There are serious advantages to having a revolver, not the least of which is that you wont have to remember to switch the safety off. A revolver is simplicity squared, and in your situation that sounds like just what you need. Of course, if she can't squeeze the trigger those advantages don't mean jack.