Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New Gun Owner Needing Advice!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Gun Owner Needing Advice!!

Hello Everyone!

I am a new gun owner in Arizona wanting to get a CCW permit. I have fired a weapon just a couple times...probably a total of 10 rounds in my life. I have been reading up on the range requirements for Arizona for the CCW...doesn't seem too difficult. I am a little nervous though about not passing on the range, so I was looking for opinions on if it is common/uncommon and easy/difficult for a new shooter to pass the range qualifications, after the allowed practice rounds (50 I think)?

Thanks a lot and any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated!

Marc

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Practice, practice, practice.

No offense but with 10 rounds under your belt why would you even want to carry a firearm?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5248 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 330

go takesomebasic safety courses especially covering gun handling. im sure it shouldnt be hard to find a training course at a local range

Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
QFT

Carrying a gun is all well and good, but if you don't know every in and out of that gun and it's capabilities and drawbacks, as well as your own, you could very well become a danger to yourself and others in an emergency situation.

I believe that getting a CCW isn't a happy-go-lucky GI Joe toy. It comes with a great deal of responsibility. You just took on the duty to protect yourself and your loved ones (or even complete strangers) in a SHTF situation, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. You need to do some soul searching to determine if you could actually pull that trigger and take the life of another human being if necessary, which should also never be taken lightly. Shooting to wound = shooting to miss.

Then you need to practice, practice, practice.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

See my response here http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/new-shooter-needing-ccw-advice-26472/

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
This.

Quote:
No offense but with 10 rounds under your belt why would you even want to carry a firearm?
And also this. If you're concerned about passing the qualification, a test which occurs under none of the pressure that you'll experience in a real SD situation, you should not even be considering carrying at this point in time. Get a lot more rounds through the barrel before you carry - right now a gun will only be a liability to you and everyone around you.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 04-26-2010 at 12:50 AM.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with the other guy. If you have only a few rounds under your belt why would you want to carry. I also a very new to the handgun sport. I have several shotguns a rem 1100 and a browning citori mainly for skeet and trap. I want a handgun for the range, mainly to have fun with. Now i dont know you, your age, etc...but you have to understand what a firearm is and what it has the power to do.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

You may want to get some more range time and get more familiar with the pistol before you jump into CC. As others have stated practice, practice and more practice. Get to know your Firearm.

map053 and Flat4sti, if you haven't already stop by the INTRODUCTIONS and say hello to the community and let us know a little about yourself.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Already expressed, far more trigger time required before you should CC. Have you chosen a firearm you plan to carry? If I may ask what prompted you to go from a non gun owner/shooter to wanting to carry consealed?

It's a huge responsibility to CC and unless you are willing to put in the time to practice often please do not contine with this venture. If you are willing to put in the time do it before you apply for your CC.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The same was that you get to Carnagie Hall, practice, practice, practice, and when you are done, practice some more.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....