Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New Gun Owner Needing Advice!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-gun-owner-needing-advice-26473/)

map053 04-25-2010 08:00 PM

New Gun Owner Needing Advice!!

Hello Everyone!

I am a new gun owner in Arizona wanting to get a CCW permit. I have fired a weapon just a couple times...probably a total of 10 rounds in my life. I have been reading up on the range requirements for Arizona for the CCW...doesn't seem too difficult. I am a little nervous though about not passing on the range, so I was looking for opinions on if it is common/uncommon and easy/difficult for a new shooter to pass the range qualifications, after the allowed practice rounds (50 I think)?

Thanks a lot and any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated!

Marc

canebrake 04-25-2010 08:04 PM

Practice, practice, practice.

No offense but with 10 rounds under your belt why would you even want to carry a firearm?

JonM 04-25-2010 09:15 PM

go takesomebasic safety courses especially covering gun handling. im sure it shouldnt be hard to find a training course at a local range

LegatoRedrivers 04-25-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 275839)

QFT

Carrying a gun is all well and good, but if you don't know every in and out of that gun and it's capabilities and drawbacks, as well as your own, you could very well become a danger to yourself and others in an emergency situation.

I believe that getting a CCW isn't a happy-go-lucky GI Joe toy. It comes with a great deal of responsibility. You just took on the duty to protect yourself and your loved ones (or even complete strangers) in a SHTF situation, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. You need to do some soul searching to determine if you could actually pull that trigger and take the life of another human being if necessary, which should also never be taken lightly. Shooting to wound = shooting to miss.

Then you need to practice, practice, practice.

dunerunner 04-25-2010 09:19 PM

See my response here http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/new-shooter-needing-ccw-advice-26472/

Mr. Bluesky 04-26-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

This.

Quote:

No offense but with 10 rounds under your belt why would you even want to carry a firearm?

And also this. If you're concerned about passing the qualification, a test which occurs under none of the pressure that you'll experience in a real SD situation, you should not even be considering carrying at this point in time. Get a lot more rounds through the barrel before you carry - right now a gun will only be a liability to you and everyone around you.

Flat4sti 04-26-2010 02:22 AM

I agree with the other guy. If you have only a few rounds under your belt why would you want to carry. I also a very new to the handgun sport. I have several shotguns a rem 1100 and a browning citori mainly for skeet and trap. I want a handgun for the range, mainly to have fun with. Now i dont know you, your age, etc...but you have to understand what a firearm is and what it has the power to do.

Shihan 04-26-2010 02:49 AM

You may want to get some more range time and get more familiar with the pistol before you jump into CC. As others have stated practice, practice and more practice. Get to know your Firearm.

map053 and Flat4sti, if you haven't already stop by the INTRODUCTIONS and say hello to the community and let us know a little about yourself.

WDB 04-27-2010 03:35 AM

Already expressed, far more trigger time required before you should CC. Have you chosen a firearm you plan to carry? If I may ask what prompted you to go from a non gun owner/shooter to wanting to carry consealed?

It's a huge responsibility to CC and unless you are willing to put in the time to practice often please do not contine with this venture. If you are willing to put in the time do it before you apply for your CC.

Glasshartt 04-29-2010 09:46 PM

The same was that you get to Carnagie Hall, practice, practice, practice, and when you are done, practice some more.