Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New Gun Owner (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-gun-owner-42960/)

Newbie36 05-25-2011 01:29 AM

New Gun Owner

Hi All. Bought my first handgun today, a Taurus 38 Ultra Lite, new, in the box.. The guy that sold it to me threw in some bullets that don't look so new. I mean, they're not used but the box looks like it could be from a few years (decades) back. I want to go to a range and fire the gun. Um, as a newbie, I am um, a little scared the thing might blow up in my face or something. Wanna talk me out of that? Thanks.

big shrek 05-25-2011 01:37 AM

If the bullets don't come out of the case when you pull on 'em with your fingers, I'd use 'em.
But only for plinking at a 7 yard target. No telling how inert the powder may have gotten over the years.

Old ammo generally works just fine, as long as its quality ammo.
Unlikely to cause trouble in a revolver :)

Jesse17 05-25-2011 01:50 AM

Yes, what he said. I'm shooting .38 spl. ammo thats at least 20+ years old, and there is still some types of ammo from WWII around I believe, certainly Vietnam and older stuff if not.

Just make sure you stop and check the barrel if you fire one off and it's not as loud as you expected.

Welcome to the club! :)

fireguy 05-25-2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 511251)
Yes, what he said. I'm shooting .38 spl. ammo thats at least 20+ years old, and there is still some types of ammo from WWII around I believe, certainly Vietnam and older stuff if not.

Just make sure you stop and check the barrel if you fire one off and it's not as loud as you expected.

Welcome to the club! :)

And how do we want the new shooter to look into his barrel?
Please don't look into the business end of the barrel. Practice safe shooting.
Please.

Newbie36 05-25-2011 01:57 AM

That last part was tongue-in-cheek, yeah? :-)

Davo45 05-25-2011 02:16 AM

I've got some .45 ACP FMJ Ball manufactured in 1952 that still shoots fine...with steel cases no less. I shoot a magazine full of it once a year just to make sure and it hasn't failed to fire yet.

Jesse17 05-25-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 511260)
And how do we want the new shooter to look into his barrel?
Please don't look into the business end of the barrel. Practice safe shooting.
Please.

:rolleyes:

The barrel can be checked for obstruction with a cleaning rod (with gun unloaded) As he said, don't look down the muzzle.

utf59 05-25-2011 10:31 PM

How many rounds? If it's just a few, I expect you're going to get a box of new ammo anyway, so you won't be losing much if you toss them away (say into the dud can at the range). I don't have any problem shooting old ammo, but if it's bothering you, why mess with it?

WDB 05-26-2011 02:34 AM

Old ammo isn't a big concern unless the ammo show corrosion on the rounds. Being a newbee best advice might be ask the guy at the counter what he thinks of the ammo you have. I find in most cases the guys that work at the range are good people and want you to be a return customer. If you are truly concerned with the ammo just buy a new box, you can pick up a box of ball ammo for less than $20.

pioneer461 05-26-2011 11:15 PM

Welcome to shooting and to the forum. May I suggest you search your area for professional shooting instruction? Most guys grow up watching movies and TV and think we know how to shoot just because we are guys. It is very easy to develop bad habits from learning on your own, or by getting well meaning but wrong instruction from unqualified teachers. Invest a few more bucks and learn from a pro. You won't be sorry. Contrary to popular belief, shooting a smaller hand gun can be a bit more challenging than a larger one because of shorter sight radius, increased felt recoil and other things having to do with physics.

I expect finding a range may be a challenge in your neck of the woods, but there must be one somewhere. Perhaps your gun shop can recommend someone. (I just googled "Baltimore shooting ranges" and found a few.)

I've owned a Taurus M-85 UL for several years and it has served me well. Until my wife stole it from me that is. She liked it so much it became hers and I had to find a replacement, but in my case it was not a problem. I just walked to the gun room and opened one of my safes. :cool: