Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New gun. New Training.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default New gun. New Training.

So a little background information:
I own and shoot a full sized Regent 1911 .45. It was my first handgun purchase and I only had the money for an entry level 1911 . While I love my gun I decided to buy a new gun.

My purchase: LionHeart LH9N-MKII. 9mm 4.1" barrel.

My situation: I've shot 9mm in the past. Its alright just a lot different than what I'm used to. How many rounds should I drill with? Distances? What's a decent ammo to chew through?

Any additional things I should drill before I carry with something new?

What about your past transition periods with new guns?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Practice and get to know the pistol.
How many rounds? That is your decision. But do enough so the pistol is in your muscle memory.

Too many different platforms is not in the best interest of SD. You don't want to be put in a position that you have to "think" of which handgun you are carrying and where the safety is.

Distance? If you hit the bulls-eye every time and have a small circle where all the bullets holes touch each other, then you are too close. If you can't hit the paper, then too far. This is said believing that you automatically follow all the "rules" of shooting (breath control, sight alignment, squeezing the trigger, and follow through).

Some of the best handgun shooters shoot every day and can shoot more than 5000 rounds in a month's time. Is that correct for you? Your decision.

What if your new purchase breaks? Can you get parts? Is there someone who can work on it if you can't?
There is good sense sometimes in not buying on cost alone.

Ammo? Some inexpensive ammo may not give the accuracy desired, but for practice may be okay. I've seen where some ammo that jammed a brand new Walther. In my opinion, get the best you can afford for SD and practice a little with it to make sure it functions. Get the cheap stuff to practice with when reliability is not an issue (like on the range).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1797 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 358

I always practice taking down every firearm I own, especially one that might be used for defense purposes. I need to understand how it works because who knows when you may need to make a quick fix

Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Shoot enuff that next time someone ask that same question YOU can answer it
As for ammo shoot the cheapest you can find that runs in the gun----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2844 Times on 1948 Posts
Likes Given: 582

And: I would try to stay away from MOST Remanufactured Ammo for SD, or even extended practice sessions.
For Practice I use either PMC 115Gr. RN's, Federal in the same configuration, and I keep Remington UMC's (2-250 Bulks, and a few 100 rd. Boxes of both Federal & Remington. Sometimes I will "Slum" and use Winchester WB in the 100's, but thats when I can't Find the others. For T&E My Minimum is 250-300 Rds., with most of that being Ball, and 50 being "SD" type Ammo.

I have found if you want to save a few bucks and still have decent SD Ammo Try some of the Fiocchi offerings. I have 4 full Boxes Now(and 2 opened 50 rounders) of their 9MM 92 Gr. Monoblock expansion round (a Less Expensive Version of the Hornady Critical Defense round). Price: $30 for 50 rds. as opposed to $20-$25 for 25 CD's, and they also have several offerings in the Traditional JHP's And JSP's...Right now I'm not Hurting for Ammo(except for 22LR as Mentioned in other Threads, along with my Disdain for Wally World) I have just over 2500 rds. Of assdt. 9MM,..with about 1/3rd of that being assdt. SD ammo.. I'd prefer to have Double that amt., But In Time...
I have Transitioned to the 9MM from 45's for about 2 years now...While I miss Shooting my 1911's,..I will Find one I like in 9MM sooner or later...

I heard some nice things about the LionHearts...We saw many 9's at SHOT we'd like to T&E....I can see doing a Piece on 9MM 1911's later this year(prob. the Taurus PT 1911-9, the Metro Arms 1911-9, and the Springfield Range Officer 9)...as well as many Other non-1911's,...The New Striker Fired 3 Series Sigs, The Remington R51, The Swiss Sphinx...The Steyr's, The SAR's,..and Of Course The Walther PPQ's, which are a Major Improvment over the P99's...
I did also get to Hold and Grip several Of the Bersa's in 9 as well...

TB63: how Many Mags. Did you get with your LH? do they Provide you with a method to obtain More Spares?
The Wife(MzGrn when she's on here) thinks I'm nutz that I buy So Many SPARES for every Semi-Auto We get...but Now she (has) experienced a Mag failure with her Buckmark, leaving her with Only 3 Mags...she Knows What I Speak On...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 01-26-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

TB63: how Many Mags. Did you get with your LH? do they Provide you with a method to obtain More Spares?
The Wife(MzGrn when she's on here) thinks I'm nutz that I buy So Many SPARES for every Semi-Auto We get...but Now she (has) experienced a Mag failure with her Buckmark, leaving her with Only 3 Mags...she Knows What I Speak On...[/QUOTE]

I haven't received the gun yet. Hopefully the weather doesn't prolong it. But the full size ships with one 13rd mag and one 15. You can order more through them. And there are a few older mags that are compatible.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2844 Times on 1948 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Cool, as long as they leave you options to get more......imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1390780299.784339.jpg

Cleaning day,....MzGrn's Buckmark(top) and my LC9 (bottom)
Already done: the SR9, the 92's, the Mini, and the BHP,..
Still To Go, the Plinkster and the SA-20.....
(Under the cleaning mat-Doubled over is a 2004 American Airshows' t-Shirt featuring the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds....too "Holy" to wear anymore!)

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 01-26-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
., But In Time...
I have Transitioned to the 9MM from 45's for about 2 years now...While I miss Shooting my 1911's,..I will Find one I like in 9MM sooner or later...
Brother I hear ya ! I am going to be forced to get into reloading. Between ammo shortage & inflated prices - very hard times. I got lucky years back - case of 9mm for $6 a box. Still have a few hundred left. Same ammo is now $15.99 when you can get it.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 AM   #9

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaBaggins63 View Post
The Wife(MzGrn when she's on here) thinks I'm nutz that I buy So Many SPARES for every Semi-Auto We get...but Now she (has) experienced a Mag failure with her Buckmark, leaving her with Only 3 Mags...she Knows What I Speak On...
I haven't received the gun yet. Hopefully the weather doesn't prolong it. But the full size ships with one 13rd mag and one 15. You can order more through them. And there are a few older mags that are compatible.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Firearms Talk mobile app[/QUOTE]

It's an interesting gun. It is basically a Korean copy of a Smith and Wesson 59. They were marketed several years ago by Daewoo. Still made by Daewoo, just a different importer with new branding. So, Daewoo or Smith and Wesson 59 mags should work in these. I know the 59 mags worked in the Daewoo.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The main reason i purchased was because of their torture videos on youtube. They take a beating and still function.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Firearms Talk mobile app