New defense shoot practice ideas????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New defense shoot practice ideas????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New defense shoot practice ideas????

Me and my family i.e My brothers,step dad and mother. Thats right my mom practices with me she is my main partner haha and deadly. Anyway we practice out in the desert defensive pistol shooting. I am running low on thins and techniques to practice with them. We do a lot of a type of double tap practice, buddy shooting, covering each other for reload etc etc. I am looking for some ideas on new stuff to try. If you practice something that u think works good i want to know. Or if you have read or heard of something i wanna know about that too. I just like being up to par with my gun and spending time and teaching my family is my fav pass time.

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I shoot at 8" white paper plates. You can put a paper plate and above that, an index card. Then another plate and index card. It's An old drill, put two into the plate and then one in the index card. Then keep the gun moving to the next station and repeat.

It was originally set up with two plates n cards because revolvers only hold six rounds but w high capacity autos, you can set up multiple tgts at multiple ranges. I think they used to call this Mozambique drills in the day. These tgts are budget friendly and track well.

YouTube has a great video from the All Army Shooting team on how to call your shots.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I shoot at 8" white paper plates. You can put a paper plate and above that, an index card. Then another plate and index card. It's An old drill, put two into the plate and then one in the index card. Then keep the gun moving to the next station and repeat.

It was originally set up with two plates n cards because revolvers only hold six rounds but w high capacity autos, you can set up multiple tgts at multiple ranges. I think they used to call this Mozambique drills in the day. These tgts are budget friendly and track well.
It is called the Mozambique Drill or Triple Tap, my favorite!

In rapid defensive shooting there are no fliers, just OODA loop resets!

Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Put them in the coke bottle and all's well!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1014 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default New shooting

Try tap tap and swap hands and tap tap. Get comfortable shooting with either hand. This will keep you busy for a while.

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Was watching the magpul dynamics pistol DVD a few days ago and I gotta say they have quite a few good drills to run. I would recommend taking a look into them

Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I like these drills they are simple and good to practice. Defenatly will be doing these next outing.

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Prop up a dime and shoot it at 15 yards away..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In LEO training they do a training exercise using your bad hand by firing 2 magazines as fast as possible and hitting the target with semi decent shots...The first time I did it at my school my hand cramped up bad but I eventually got the hang of it somewhat..It's a pretty hard drill if you never tried it before but it's always good to know if you were ever to have an injury with your good hand to know that you won't be s**t outta luck with using your other hand.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

One thing to expect when SHTF, is the unexpected.

As the gentlemen above say, vary your practice procedures.
Use the "what if..." scenario, but keep it realistic.
Aliens in UFOs are not scheduled to be on Earth for a while yet.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You'll also see the term FTS (Failure To Stop). That's another name for the Mozambique, though it will also at least mention that you are making a decision after the first two rounds that the target has failed to stop (FTS) so you shift to the head.

There's a website called pistol-training.com (be sure to include the hyphen, or you'll get to a different website) that has a lot of drills posted.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs