Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   new concealed carry pistol need some help (probably lcr vs j-frame) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-concealed-carry-pistol-need-some-help-probably-lcr-vs-j-frame-29368/)

roosterjuicer 07-16-2010 02:54 AM

new concealed carry pistol need some help (probably lcr vs j-frame)

I traded in my old J-frame in for a beretta bobcat or tomcat (whatever the .32 auto one is) and it was a total piece of crap! Luckily the nice folks at scheels let me return the beretta for my original purchase price plus tax despite not having a receipt and coming in 3 months after buying it. If you buy any sporting goods please go to scheels just to thank them for the amazing service they gave your friend RoosterJuicer.

Anyway, Im looking for a concealed carry gun for summer (i carry my glock 26 during winter usually). the one thing i liked about the beretta was its small size made it very easy to conceal. i know it will be difficult to find a gun that doesn't jam a lot that is as easy to carry.

rights now im pretty much trying to decide between an LCR and another J-frame. I was considering a sig p238 but im not comfotable carrying a single action only gun cocked and locked. I would prefer double action or double/single.

I want something that is easy to conceal, easy to shoot, and reliable right out of the box.

roosterjuicer 07-16-2010 02:55 AM

also, which gun is shorter? the j frame or the lcr? and when i say shorter i mean from the bottom of the grip to the top of the gun.

Gojubrian 07-16-2010 07:06 AM

I have the LCR and it is a breeze to carry.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/new-leather-lcr-27890/

I don't have experience with the other. I believe the trigger of the lcr has the best out of the box snub nose trigger on the market. :cool:

IDVague 07-16-2010 07:40 AM

I haven't physically held an LCR yet, but all reports I have seen are good. BUT....I can't imagine it being better than a J-frame. My only problem with carrying my M36 is I prefer a pocket carry gun over one in leather, and I've never been comfortable with the 36 in my pocket. I have carried it in a boot holster or an ankle holster in the past as a BUG, however. If I'm going to have to wear a holster for my primary, I'd rather opt for a larger frame and caliber.

Gojubrian 07-16-2010 09:01 AM

The LCR is my back up, in the pocket, grab-n-go gun. When I need deep concealment I grab the LCR. My primary is my Kimber .45 1911, the mother of all carry guns that are good and holy.

roosterjuicer 07-16-2010 01:03 PM

I like the LCR but i worry about concealing it because the grip is about half an inch longer than the j frame. are there any other, shorter, grips for the LCR?

tcraig23 07-16-2010 09:10 PM

For deep conceal or grab and go, I carry a S&W 340CT J-Frame, awesome, light, and powerful. If that is too pricey go with the Ruger LCR.

General_lee 07-16-2010 10:01 PM

If you REALLY want concealablilty, go for a small semi-auto like a Ruger LCP.

I'm kind of old school when it comes to wheel guns. If you want to stay away from semi auto and have a revolver, I would go with the J frame.
I've heard really good things about the LCR, everybody I've talked to that owns one loves it, but to me personally, the idea of a polymer frame revolver makes me cringe.

roosterjuicer 07-17-2010 01:02 AM

I worry about the ability of manufacturers to make a tiny gun like the LCP reliable and cost less than 600$. Im pretty gunshy about getting another mini autoloader. plus im not crazy about the lcp, i think its too small.

anyone know anything about the smith and wesson bodyguard .380 as far as reliability goes?

IDVague 07-17-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosterjuicer (Post 316126)
I worry about the ability of manufacturers to make a tiny gun like the LCP reliable and cost less than 600$. Im pretty gunshy about getting another mini autoloader. plus im not crazy about the lcp, i think its too small.

anyone know anything about the smith and wesson bodyguard .380 as far as reliability goes?

I haven't shot one yet, but I picked one up in a gun shop recently to get an idea of the weight. It is really light, and unloaded it is very unbalanced. I'm going to rent one on my next range trip and see how it feels loaded and how it shoots.