Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New cc piece (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-cc-piece-67809/)

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC 07-07-2012 03:27 PM

New cc piece

Im looking to get a new concealed carry piece in a 40 cal.. any recommendations? Thinking bout XDM 3.8.

Only 9mm im looking at is the sig 938... or is it 939?.... its tge 9 mm version of the p238

vincent 07-07-2012 03:34 PM

Walther PPS...slim profile, sweet shooter, super concealable...

...only drawbacks are less capacity than the XD's and you don't get a bunch of goodies with it...mags, holsters...

Just a suggestion...:cool:

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC 07-07-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 862287)
Walther PPS...slim profile, sweet shooter, super concealable...

...only drawbacks are less capacity than the XD's and you don't get a bunch of goodies with it...mags, holsters...

Just a suggestion...:cool:

actually my dads wife has the PPS in 9mm it does shoot great didnt know how the recoil would be on the 40 though

Dragonheart 07-07-2012 05:33 PM

I personally wouldn't get a .40. I like my Walther PPS in 9mm for compact carry. The Sig P-938 should also be a good choice for a sub-compact

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC 07-07-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonheart (Post 862399)
I personally wouldn't get a .40. I like my Walther PPS in 9mm for compact carry. The Sig P-938 should also be a good choice for a sub-compact

only thing i dont like about 9mm is the velocity on the round.. would rather not have to worry about where my round goes after defending myself from a perp.

although i always know my target and backstop id rather have less to worry about

clr8ter 07-07-2012 06:40 PM

I'm planning to get the Sig P938 as soon as i can find one. Looking for either the Blackwood, or rosewood. So far, nothing. Even the Sig Rep I talked to recently in person seemed to have no idea when they were going to be out. Seems like they're still getting their new facility up & running in Portsmouth, NH, and they might be making them there, he says.......

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC 07-07-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 862466)
I'm planning to get the Sig P938 as soon as i can find one. Looking for either the Blackwood, or rosewood. So far, nothing. Even the Sig Rep I talked to recently in person seemed to have no idea when they were going to be out. Seems like they're still getting their new facility up & running in Portsmouth, NH, and they might be making them there, he says.......

i love the mini 1911 feel to it and have a p238 in the extreme with the g 10 grips
sweet little carry gun in my opionion but i live on the beach and it costs a little much to bring in the sand got a p3AT for that purpose

Don Davis 07-07-2012 06:48 PM

I know you asked about .40 cal, but I like .45 or 9mm better - JMHO

I think you can get these guns in .40 too.

I'd suggest you look at the S&W M&P 9c or shield.

Both excellent guns.

Here's my 9c

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/x...uns/SWMP9C.jpg

Very small and light for a 12+1 gun in 9mm -

I like the external safety on a "striker" fired concealed carry gun.

Wonderful shooting gun.

:cool:

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC 07-07-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Davis (Post 862471)
I know you asked about .40 cal, but I like .45 or 9mm better - JMHO

I think you can get these guns in .40 too.

I'd suggest you look at the S&W M&P 9c or shield.

Both excellent guns.

Here's my 9c

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/x...uns/SWMP9C.jpg

Very small and light for a 12+1 gun in 9mm -

I like the external safety on a "striker" fired concealed carry gun.

Wonderful shooting gun.

:cool:

ive always been drawn to the M&P ive shot both the 9 and 40 in full sized i really like the feel of the gun and the outright shooting capabilities of them also thanks for your input

Dragonheart 07-07-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILatDCMFirearmsSC (Post 862463)
only thing i dont like about 9mm is the velocity on the round.. would rather not have to worry about where my round goes after defending myself from a perp.

although i always know my target and backstop id rather have less to worry about

Yes, over penetration is a very real worry in just about any caliber if the right bullet and load is not selected. This is especially true of the 147 grain 9mm bullets I have personally tested. As far as velocity, a .40 will easily exceed 1200FPS with a 155 grain bullet, which is very capable of over penetration. The .40 is only a little over one millimeter larger in diameter than than a 9mm bullet with a similar mass and velocity.

I personally don't see any ballistic advantage of the .40 and I find the biting recoil much more unpleasant than either the 9mm or 45 ACP. I realize that others will have a different opinion, but as a long time handloader, competitive shooter, plinker and instructor that's just my opinion.