New Army Pistol - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New Army Pistol

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

the 1911 has a lot of historic as well as 'cool' factor to it, and the 45 acp is a proven stopper. i have to agree though with what others have said, there have been a lot of improvements in semi-automatic handgun design, especially the metallurgy and composite components, in the last 102 years.

__________________
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fort Hood,TX
Posts: 1,366
Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
the 1911 has a lot of historic as well as 'cool' factor to it, and the 45 acp is a proven stopper. i have to agree though with what others have said, there have been a lot of improvements in semi-automatic handgun design, especially the metallurgy and composite components, in the last 102 years.
If they can make a 1911 out of aluminum, they can make (do they?) one out of plastic. Something I must research!!
__________________
yayamamasami is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,645
Liked 507 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Americans were using the .45 Colt when most of Europe was issuing 8MM Nagants.
What european countries used the 8mm. ?
Quote:
Why are we appeasing the Europeans going to NATO 9? Screw them! If I run out of .45ACP and need to switch sidearms to a 9mm
The American army went to 9mm because they wanted to not because they were pressurized into it. It was America that pressurised NATO into replacing the 7.62 for 5.56. As for the 9mm versus .45 just like they won't be going back to 7.62 they won't be going back to .45. for general issue.

I can't see the American army changing their handguns anytime soon why would they.
__________________

Last edited by manta; 03-22-2013 at 09:28 PM.
manta is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fort Hood,TX
Posts: 1,366
Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
What european countries used the 8mm. ?

The American army went to 9mm because they wanted to not because they were pressurized into it. It was America that pressurised NATO into replacing the 7.62 for 5.56. As for the 9mm versus .45 just like they won't be going back to 7.62 they won't be going back to .45. for general issue.

I can't see the American army changing their handguns anytime soon why would they.
Kinda what we've been saying.......? It's quid pro quo
__________________
yayamamasami is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SigArmored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: FT. Meyers,Fla.
Posts: 518
Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The military is about as likely to switch from the m16 as it is from the beretta. As good as the 1911 is the military sidearm isnt gonna change for the foreseeable future.

Wars arent fought and won with pistols. The only reason there could possibly be a change is if beretta goes belly up. The biggest reason the change ftom 1911 to m9 happened was money. It cost more to field new 1911s than it did to replace them all with the m9

The reason we switched from revolver to the 1911 was cost and time. It was cheaper and faster to produce a simple 1911 than a complicated revolver.

So until the majority of m9 are worn out and there is also a cheaper semi reliable gun that performs as well as the m9 there isnt going to be a new general issue sidearm.

Same is true for the m16 platform.
Ummmmmm the Marines have already put a plan in action to readopt the 1911.
__________________
SigArmored is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fort Hood,TX
Posts: 1,366
Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigArmored

Ummmmmm the Marines have already put a plan in action to readopt the 1911.
That's true!! They initially ordered 2500 from SA, I believe. Maybe 25,000... I have one! It's my carry piece!!! Research required.
__________________
yayamamasami is offline  
towboater Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fort Hood,TX
Posts: 1,366
Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami

That's true!! They initially ordered 2500 from SA, I believe. Maybe 25,000... I have one! It's my carry piece!!! Research required.
I stand corrected!!

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/20/usmc-orders-4036-m45-cqbp-pistols/



image-1479010129.jpg

Looks awesome!!!
__________________
yayamamasami is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,155
Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

^^^ That might be hard to find if dropped at the beach.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fort Hood,TX
Posts: 1,366
Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami
I see! I got one of their MEU (SOC) pistols. I didn't know SA lost the contract. I want one of these!!!!
__________________
yayamamasami is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fort Hood,TX
Posts: 1,366
Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
^^^ That might be hard to find if dropped at the beach.
It's attached via lanyard. But I get your point. Especially at night...
__________________
yayamamasami is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
If the big Army decided to adopt a new pistol... Bighead Semi-Auto Handguns 48 04-16-2013 09:49 PM
Just inherited Remington .380 pistol and Colt .32 pistol.....Info Please AdkFlight Semi-Auto Handguns 7 10-02-2012 08:27 PM
U.S. Army~Between the .38 and .45 ACP Bob Wright Ammunition & Reloading 4 08-16-2011 03:22 PM
What is considered a large pistol verses a small pistol for primers? BAMonty Ammunition & Reloading 9 06-27-2010 10:12 AM