New Army Pistol - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New Army Pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Id like to see a cz75 variant personally

Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3862 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiabe1 View Post
Id like to see a cz75 variant personally
CZ handguns are very popular in Eastern European military and LEO circles. They have been proven. Very interesting.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #13

Liked 400 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Last I heard, the Army extended their contract with Beretta for 5 years.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #14

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The Makarov!

LOL, sorry, can't even type that with a straight face. They were already obsolete the first day they were manufactured except to some rednecks who bought 'em for $89 when they were imported en masse and were amazed they even worked so put 'em on a pedestal...

Dur!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If they are going to change and don't want the 1911 (though I can't see why) Then Sig or CZ would be the best choices. I'd lean to a Sig. Being their love of the 9mm the 226 makes a great deal of sense.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #16

Liked 2384 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 533

I wouldn't be surprised to see a polymer framed firearm, but it wouldn't be a show stopper to see them stick with an alloy frame. I would see another set of trials opened to several manufacturers again. As someone else pointed out, wars aren't won with handguns, so I don't see a move away from the 9mm. Power to weight ratio, and cost of ammo make it a logical choice from a supply standpoint. Keeping some .45s in stock for special operations is not a huge deal.

The 1911 is a great pistol in a historical sense, but combat pistols have evolved, and the cost of manufacturing is probably a bit on the high side, plus a double/single action that gives an immediate second strike capability in the event of a failed primer is a worthwhile feature. This would preclude striker fired guns and single actions.

I would imagine a good double/single action would be in order. A positive safety with a decocking feature is nice for this configuration. I'm not opposed to a decocker alone with a good long first trigger pull.

I'm pretty sure, that many manufacturers could come up with good offerings. Beretta, Sig, Smith and Wesson, Colt, and any other folks that want to submit a design for consideration.

H&K has good customer service for agencies, but what I remember when dealing with them as an individual was not that great. Their prices are high for what you get. They do make good stuff, but they would have to choke down some pride to get their contract prices in the ball park, or just use the military contract for marketing and soak individual gun owners who must have the latest military gear.

I haven't seen any folks show up in theater with their own personal Glock, unless they were contractors. Some folks trained local police and equiped them with Glocks. There are a few Sigs in inventory, and only units filled with Smiths and Joneses seemed to have much beyond the standard issue Beretta.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:54 AM   #17

Liked 355 Times on 203 Posts

Give em' Gen3 Glock 34s. It's accurate, light, tough, reliable, has a built-in rail, it's easy to work on, and has only 34 parts.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Actually the m9s are wearing out. I see their conditions on a daily basis. hell, I was plinking with another 226 owner who is taking hs Sig on his deployment. I see pictures of troops with their own Glocks in desert. The rumors are hitting the ranks. In all honesty I hear folks wanting the M & P 45 with threaded barrel. M4 is going to be around for awhile. HK is still working on their sci-fi rifle for the Army. No promises form the US though. Still, with the sequester....
wearing out isnt the sole criteria. its also the current parts in inventory replacing those and if there is anything at better price point that can totally replace current inventory.

it took nearly 60 years to go through the reserve back stock of 1911 parts before the military decided to open up to a new handgun.

i dont see anything replacing the beretta anytime soon.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 499 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I would agree that the U.S. will not change their primary issue pistol, perhaps they will purchase variants for elite and specialized units, but there is no real need to change in my opinion. When I was in the service, we still had C-Rats and packs from the Korean era,, Uncle Sam does not like to throw stuff away if it still works and I am sure that every M9 out there could be refurbished with a lot less expense than getting bids, testing, retesting, and the whole process of aquiring a new standard sidearm and you know they would never sell the old M9's to the public as military surplus to recup some of the expense.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #20

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Glock 19. It's a proven weapon, parts available world wide, 9mm, holds plenty of rounds.

Personally I'd say stay with the 1911 but, the Glock performs reliably after long periods of not being cleaned in harsh environments where as my beloved 1911 prefers to be clean an has been known to be picky in terms of ammo and mags.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.