New Army Pistol - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

New Army Pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4803 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The 9MM was not chosen for its practical use. The 9MM Parabellum was chosen as a fit for the new Politically Correct American Army and U.N. Compliance.
I carried a S&W 39 years ago. The gun was used to finish many big game animals. It was the most unreliable handgun for killing wounded animals I have ever owned. The .45 ACP is a very effective side arm.
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #92

Liked 278 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The 9MM was not chosen for its practical use. The 9MM Parabellum was chosen as a fit for the new Politically Correct American Army and U.N. Compliance.
I carried a S&W 39 years ago. The gun was used to finish many big game animals. It was the most unreliable handgun for killing wounded animals I have ever owned. The .45 ACP is a very effective side arm.
The choice of the 9mm had nothing to do with the U.N. It was chosen because a NATO treaty required the U.S. to use the NATO standard round if we replaced the 1911 with a new gun . Had we simply built more 1911s, we would not have been required to change them to 9mm.

IIRC...The U.S. irked the NATO allies by pushing them to standardize to 7.62 NATO only to adopt the 5.56 soon after .

Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #93

Liked 4803 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Huumm!! NATO has no relation to the United Nations. Say, that offer I made to sell you Yellowstone Nat'l Park is still open.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #94

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Rentacop, you are correct. Other NATO countries were looking for new cartridges, but the US maintained that they had to keep a .30 caliber, it had to be detachable magazine fed, and select fire. While they were given many different rifles to test, many superior to the M14, they stuck with the one that they had the rights to. They then arm twisted the allies into standardizing to the US cartridge.
One can only wonder what the magnificent FAL in its many forms would have been like in the British cartridge they were working on. My guess is something akin to the 7mm-08, but a little lighter. Now THAT would have been a wicked round. I also wonder how different the US Service rifle would have been if when we went to a Mauser (1903), we would have gone with the 6.5 or 7mm. Both excellent cartridges, with the 6.5 being ballistically superior to most everything made for nearly 100 years.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 552

The primary sidearm will continue to be the m9, because they just re-upped their contract with Beretta not that long ago. That is the fact, as to what it will be in another 20 or thirty years who really knows. It seems that the m9 though has served well and since they have so many now and more coming in within the years ahead, they will most likely keep it to keep costs down. There really is little reason to change it, no other 9mm offers anything that is so spectacular that congress will deem a switch over to a whole new gun and foot the bill. We switched from the 1911 for a few reasons, and those reasons were met with the m9. We will most likely stay with the 9mm as it is nato standard. So why pay all that money to switch out all the armories in our military for a new gun that shoots the same bullet?

FYI I carried the m9 while I served here and abroad, and never had I had any issue with my pistol. The thing was old as dirt and most the blueing was gone from them. But they still fired and were accurate. And I cannot recall ever having a jam. For a gun to stand up to everyday abuse by the military for 20 years and still perform, I find that amazing. Am I a fan of the 9mm...not really, but it is nato standard and that what we have. I am a 1911 guy, but guess what the only guys getting those are spec-ops so that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Weather you love or hat the m9, it has done it's job for over 25 years and still continues to today. Very little advancements have been made in the way of semi automatic pistols to warrant a mass change over to a new gun.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #96

Liked 665 Times on 563 Posts

Here's an excellent article about the .45.

The Legend of the .45

http://www.morolandhistory.com/Related%20Articles/Legend%20of%20.45.htm

I have to admit, all this time, I thought the .45 ACP was sent to the Philippines to fight the "drugged up" Moros. Funny how history can be warped my rumor and innuendo.

Last edited by yayamamasami; 04-06-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #97

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

No specific gun but it will probably be polymer, with a safety or de-cocker, probably a hammer, and a magazine capacity of more than 15 rounds.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #98
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10746 Times on 5735 Posts
Likes Given: 10503

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamamasami View Post
Here's an excellent article about the .45.

The Legend of the .45

http://www.morolandhistory.com/Related%20Articles/Legend%20of%20.45.htm

I have to admit, all this time, I thought the .45 ACP was sent to the Philippines to fight the "drugged up" Moros. Funny how history can be warped my rumor and innuendo.

First time I went to the range to qualify with a .45, an old sgt told me to wrap my wrist tightly with adhesive tape or the recoil would sprain my wrist.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had been shooting .45s since I was 8 years old!
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost

Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #99

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

FNX 45... Completly ambidexterous safety / decocker, slide stop, and mag release. 15 round mag. Great sights. Shoots like a 40 cal. A true beast.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 AM   #100

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter11
FNX 45... Completly ambidexterous safety / decocker, slide stop, and mag release. 15 round mag. Great sights. Shoots like a 40 cal. A true beast.
I have serious doubts that the Army will replace the M9. It makes too much logical sense to switch to something else. And this countries Government and Military don't use logic.