Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New Army Pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-army-pistol-87108/)

Jagermeister 03-21-2013 07:55 PM

New Army Pistol

There has been talk about testing/trials for a new US Army standard issue pistol. Another member, OlympicFox, suggested the M&P. I say fair enough. What do the members of this forum think will be the next sidearm? Why? Let us not just put a gun down without a reason. Winner gets bragging rights. I personally believe it will be a polymer gun (for harsh environments)with safety/decocker and will have rails (this time). It will continue to be a 9mm to meet NATO standards. It will also be low cost (let the sneakiness begin). I suggest it will be an HK2000v3. I know it does not have a safety, but meets the other criteria. HK has great customer service and the US factory will supply parts.

rockratt 03-21-2013 08:03 PM

No more plastic pistols!!!1911

nitestalker 03-21-2013 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Obama has the best Democrat firearms experts designing the new U.S. Military handgun. This is what the California Based Finestien Firearms Institute has come up with.

danf_fl 03-21-2013 08:53 PM

IMO, the military should stay with the platform they know works and has worked for over 100 years and they have some in the inventory already.

The 1911a1

Jagermeister 03-21-2013 09:03 PM

So far 1911 and a flintlock. Where is the Joey Biden special? In all seriousness I am curious to see if someone picks the right gun. A little birdie tells me it will be an off the shelf firearm.

bluez 03-21-2013 09:08 PM

A Sig P2xx series gun is most likely IMO. Already in service in parts of the military and generally well reecived.

JonM 03-21-2013 09:19 PM

The military is about as likely to switch from the m16 as it is from the beretta. As good as the 1911 is the military sidearm isnt gonna change for the foreseeable future.

Wars arent fought and won with pistols. The only reason there could possibly be a change is if beretta goes belly up. The biggest reason the change ftom 1911 to m9 happened was money. It cost more to field new 1911s than it did to replace them all with the m9

The reason we switched from revolver to the 1911 was cost and time. It was cheaper and faster to produce a simple 1911 than a complicated revolver.

So until the majority of m9 are worn out and there is also a cheaper semi reliable gun that performs as well as the m9 there isnt going to be a new general issue sidearm.

Same is true for the m16 platform.

Jagermeister 03-21-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1185156)
The military is about as likely to switch from the m16 as it is from the beretta. As good as the 1911 is the military sidearm isnt gonna change for the foreseeable future.

Wars arent fought and won with pistols. The only reason there could possibly be a change is if beretta goes belly up. The biggest reason the change ftom 1911 to m9 happened was money. It cost more to field new 1911s than it did to replace them all with the m9

The reason we switched from revolver to the 1911 was cost and time. It was cheaper and faster to produce a simple 1911 than a complicated revolver.

So until the majority of m9 are worn out and there is also a cheaper semi reliable gun that performs as well as the m9 there isnt going to be a new general issue sidearm.

Same is true for the m16 platform.

Actually the m9s are wearing out. I see their conditions on a daily basis. hell, I was plinking with another 226 owner who is taking hs Sig on his deployment. I see pictures of troops with their own Glocks in desert. The rumors are hitting the ranks. In all honesty I hear folks wanting the M & P 45 with threaded barrel. M4 is going to be around for awhile. HK is still working on their sci-fi rifle for the Army. No promises form the US though. Still, with the sequester....

HockaLouis 03-21-2013 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1185112)
Obama has the best Democrat firearms experts designing the new U.S. Military handgun. This is what the California Based Finestien Firearms Institute has come up with.

Sorry, that has a pistol grip. Washington insists on a new handgun WITHOUT that...

orangello 03-21-2013 09:47 PM

I would humbly suggest the Springfield XD45 with the optional safety lever. It may not be a 1911, but at least it is .45acp. If they can't have hollowpoint projectiles, they need larger projectiles.