Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New addition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New addition

I have drank the Kool Aid...I picked up my first 1911 today. I went to a local pawn shop (it's actually 90% gun store, but they still call themselves a pawn shop) today looking unsuccessrully for a revolver that actually feels good in my hand. Toward the end of the case was an almost-new-looking Rock Island Armory 1911 A1 compact in 45 ACP. Priced irresistably at only $350, possibly due to the fact it only came with one magazine. I pulled through a local Wal Mart and picked up a box of Remington UMC FMJ and to the range I went. It has quite a kick due to the short barrel, but not un-managemble. I wouldn't try hitting much past about 15 yards with any real accuracy, but at 10 yards I was able to get more or less on target with groups under 6" which is good enough for me. But I had several fail to loads and looking at my targets several rounds went through sideways. Upon dissassembly, it was VERY dirty, more so than I would have expected from the 50 rounds I ran through it, so I'm guessing the pawn shop never bothered cleaning it beyond what you can see just pulling back the slide. It's small enough to carry if I were so inclined. I think it may have aftermarket grips on it, as they appear to be real wood, rather than the synthetic ones most new guns come with these days. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's not perfect, but for the price I don't really expect it to be either.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Scrub that puppy up good- and remember that auto pistols need lube- not much, but definitely need a touch. .45 ACP is a pretty accurate cartridge out of most guns that are in good order. What length barrel does yours have?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

A new 1911 and no picture, shame on you.

antses.gif