New 9mm Handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > New 9mm Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default New 9mm Handgun

After realizing I need more training with a 9mm pistol I thought I should invest in one before I go off to basic instead of a .22 Rifle.

continued from here. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/new-rifle-trying-decide-18253/index2.html#post162936

Here are the choices.

A CZ 75 SPO-1

Ruger SR-9

Or A Beretta 92FS Since I'm going to be trained on the M9 in boot...and it would help to be familiar with this gun....but really I hate this gun and really any gun is simple to learn on once you learn about magazine release safety....etc

Or the Taurus version which I hear is better....and actually I prefer the look and feel of them as well.

Any suggestions? And no I don't like the XD or Glock at all so those two are out haha. Shot both don't fancy them. SR-9 is probably the only Striker I like.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 09-21-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Out of those choices I would go heavily with the CZ, with the 92fs in second.

Since you don't like the XD and favor the sr9 over them I can only assume you don't have all your faculties anyway.

You are going to be an officer or do all in your line of work carry a pistol?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Well in boot camp I just want to be a good shot so I can get the markmanship award and to well look good haha.

Well I like the XD...it just rattles to much....I don't like rattling...way to annoying to me and I prefer hammers over strikers.

Also in some cases I'll carry a pistol...but nothing serious...more like a pistol wand to show "hey I have a pistol...if **** happens get behind me." And the pistol goes to a different person each shift or something.

Why the 92FS in second by the way?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

When it comes to 9mm, I love CZ. Whether poly (P07 Duty), compact (2075 RAMI), or full-sized steel (75/85), their track record on the 9x19 platform is about as stellar as it gets, IMO...but that might be a little of my own bias.

The list of quality 9's for around 500 bucks is a long one, and there are probably more than a dozen "right" answers. Get what you like, whatever serves your needs. I don't think you could go wrong with the SR9 or CZ 75. When I went out to buy my 9mm, I was leaning toward the SR9 over Glock 17/19 and XD9. It's got the right combination of weight, capacity, slim profile (my own preference), and all at a reasonable price. And then I ended up scrapping that idea for a new CZ 75b. For $409, the price was just too good to pass up.

Taurus makes some nice options as well, and I'd probably lean in that direction over Beretta. BHP, Sig, and HK are all great options too; but quite overpriced when it comes to 9mm IMO. The other that's worth a look is the MR Baby Eagle.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Well in boot camp I just want to be a good shot so I can get the markmanship award and to well look good haha.

Well I like the XD...it just rattles to much....I don't like rattling...way to annoying to me and I prefer hammers over strikers.

Also in some cases I'll carry a pistol...but nothing serious...more like a pistol wand to show "hey I have a pistol...if **** happens get behind me." And the pistol goes to a different person each shift or something.

Why the 92FS in second by the way?

If you practice the ins and outs of pistol shooting you'll have no problem atleast qualifyinf with any pistol they throw at you.

If I'm not mistaken the beretta in your post is a special made for the Marines by Beretta. The Army's M9 doesn't have the rail or extra checkering on the grip.

My xd never 'rattled' ????

Overall I still lean heavily toward the CZ SP 01. Get what you want , you're going to anyway.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We put enough rounds down range that people who had never touched a pistol came off qualifing pretty good. 45, 38 and 9 all. If you have been shootig pistols already shouldn't have any problem.

SOUTHERN BORN CONSERVATIVE REDNECK AND VERY PROUD OF IT

ARMY 1970-1971 MP SGT Nam
Army 1976-1994 MP/CID Agent 1SG

Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Is it just me or does the grip of the SR-9 look like the CZ's grip? Guess that's why I liked it so much.

The model SP-01 is the none decocker version. I really like the safety for cocked and locked deal.

I'm sure I can find one cheap somewhere. 400 dollars is where I want to be. Really don't want to spend 500. A used one might be best.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Found some new info on the SR-9

Look at this

Uncannily similiar aren't they? It's an unreleased Kimber handgun...heh....cool.

Now that I look you can get an SR9 for less than 400 or around 400 compared to a CZ 75 which is around 500-600 where I am at. The SR9 is also new so later on if I were to sell it I might get my money back I payed for it as the gun will retain value...and I've read several reviews on the firearm that are very favorable of the new Ruger Handgun.

I also currently already have a CZ-82 so I'm thinking that If I shoot both and get good with both of them I can gain a level ground between both designs and be a good shot. This will help me later on with the Pistol trials in Navy bootcamp.

One thing I don't like in the SR9 is the magazine safety....where the gun will not fire if there is no magazine in the gun....of course I do not foresee me using the SR9 without the magazine in it as it would most likely be a home defense/CCW pistol where the magazine will be in the gun at all times.

So I think I'll be getting the SR9 as my first 9mm Pistol and later on maybe sell it or keep it.

What do you think? The money that would have gone to buy the CZ new could then be used to buy magazines and ammo instead...since I have limited funds.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think you will enjoy the SR9. I just bought one and went to the range and completely enjoyed it. Very nice shooter and my 7 yr old did really well with it also. I let him move up to a 9mm.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Aye indeed.

I just have to figure out if I should just go ahead and get the SR9 while it's cheap....or just save up for a CZ 75.